Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spetzel
Level 8

Joke "Virus" and Joke Bonus

Jump to solution

Good day,

I have searched the community but haven't found a good answer yet to my problem. My McAfee recently found 2 threats, Joke and Joke Bonus. After running the scan twice, once in safe mode, I still get the same dialogue box that McAfee was unable to remove it and it must be removed manually. Although I've found little help with that. Can someone help?

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
spetzel
Level 8

Re: Joke "Virus" and Joke Bonus

Jump to solution

Ex Brit

Many Thanks. I had run malarebytes from reading another thread and it showed a couple of items it had found and deleted prior to my post. (I ran it in safe mode with system restore turned off) Today I ran two scans with McAfee and it showed no infections. Can I assume the problem is solved?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Is this detection JS/Joke-Shake?

If McAfee can't remove it, at which I'm surprised, try the FREE version of THIS software, do NOT accept the offer of a trial.  Update it before running.

(It can also be installed, updated and run in Safe Mode with Networking if need be).

Are there any unusual popups from McAfee telling you anything or from the malware itself?

Also what is the operating system and service pack plus what version of Internet Explorer is installed and is it and all add-ons updated (whether or not you use it)?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/04/12 12:39:43 EDT PM
0 Kudos
spetzel
Level 8

Jump to solution

Ex Brit

Many Thanks. I had run malarebytes from reading another thread and it showed a couple of items it had found and deleted prior to my post. (I ran it in safe mode with system restore turned off) Today I ran two scans with McAfee and it showed no infections. Can I assume the problem is solved?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

That's good you turned System Restore off to get rid of possibly infected restore points, however, it is usually the first thing to try when an infection hits, so only turn it off if all else has failed.   I think you can probably safely assume you are OK now and can turn it back on if you wish.

0 Kudos
spetzel
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks Peter!!!!

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

You're very welcome.  ;-)