cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a false Generic!Artemis PUP?

Ok, so I had a Generic!Artemis Trojan, thanks to this site I followed the steps and got rid of it, yay!

Now, in my last scan that showed the trojan was removed McAfee still shows a Generic!Artemis PUP, and it cannot be fully removed. It says it is from the weatherbug, which is a program we have had on the computer for the last 3-4 years. I have already removed the weatherbug because it seemed like that might have been the source of the trojan, because of the PUP listed at the same time the trojan was found.

So is McAfee being supersensitive, or should I take the threat seriously?

Also I don't know if you can help me with this, but I tried registering with Avert, but I never received the email to complete my registration, I didn't want to wait anymore to try to remove the trojan, so I just removed it, can I still send anything to them? The trojan is currently quarantined, should I delete it?

Thank you!
Tags (2)
2 Replies
Grif
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

RE: Is this a false Generic!Artemis PUP?

It's not just McAfee.. Weatherbug is detected by many malware removal programs as adware/spyware because of the methods it uses.. It's your choice as to keep it or not.. If you choose to keep it, then it will be detected each time a scan occurs.

As to Avert, please try again.

Hope this helps.

Grif
Highlighted

RE: Is this a false Generic!Artemis PUP?

It's odd (to me anyway) that McAfee is suddenly picking up on the weatherbug, it didn't until I got the trojan, is that normal? I mean for it to suddenly be sensitive after getting infected?

Is there another program I should try to clean up my PC more? I have already ran the malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware (this one got rid of the trojan) and both cleaned up different things that weren't detected by McAfee. So like I said I am just wondering if I should try another one or two, just to be on the safe side.

I will try Avert again.

Thnx

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community