cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linloin
Level 7

Installing/Re-installing McAfee Program/Contacting McAfee Customer Service

I have been subscribed to McAfee since it was included with my purchase of my desktop Dell in October 2010 (and renewed in 2013 & 214). I do not recall ever installing it and I have never used for security checks, etc. It is listed in my programs but only has"Security Centre" and "Virtual Technician" (which I have recently installed), and no further characteristics. I suspect that it has never been installed. I encountered this problem when trying to have recourse to exclude "invading" sites on my browser, rendering use of the Web impossible on my desktop. I cannot, therefore, even attempt to install or re-install McAfee on my desktop. How do I now install it (having just pre-paid my 2014-15 subscription). At present I am working from my laptop (not using McAfee). Can I have the program downloaded to my laptop and then transfer to the desktop. I would be most gIrateful for suggestions and help. ionloin

0 Kudos
28 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: Installing/Re-installing McAfee Program/Contacting McAfee Customer Service

Download Stinger and run it on your problem machine - it should detect and remove any malware. If your browser is infected with PUPS, Adware etc, you may need something else - the moderators on this forum will share some links I expect.

Stinger | McAfee Free Tools

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

If Stinger is no help.   Try AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Free as linked in the last link in my signature below.

Peter.gif

Toronto ▪ Canada

Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers
How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

0 Kudos
linloin
Level 7

Hi Ex_Brit

Many thanks. I think I have solved the problem - thanks to you. Via SAFE MODE, I went to the link to McAfee you provided (I'm in England)  and, following instructions, I downloaded and installed the software, finally getting the message "Your Computer is Safe", including REAL-TIME SCANNING is ON.I then ran STINGER which detected and cleaned 4 threats. When I now get the message "PONTENTIALLY UNWANTED PROGRAM BLOCKED", followed by "REMOVE/ALLOW/CLOSE", but I am unable to proceed further - just get repeats. Do I need to run ANTI-SPYWARE/MALWARE, as you suggest in your signature.

Thanks again

Regards

Linloin

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Run those two extra applications that I suggested above, you'll find them in the last link below that post.   Note that Malwarebytes Free can be downloaded, installed and run all in Safe Mode with Networking if necessary and to keep it free do NOT accept the free trial.

Best however to run these things in regular mode if possible.

0 Kudos
linloin
Level 7

Thanks, Ex_Brit. You refer to "two extra applications" in your last link. I've downloaded and installed Malwarebytes Free but I do not see the other one. Could you please specify it? I've read your article, but still don't see how to reach the second program. However, I can run Malwarebytes in regular mode and all seems well. Also I'm not sure about the "Free" aspect. I have not opted for the Premium but the Mawarebytes on my computer is headed "Malwarebytes (Trial)" and there is a further reference to "end of Trial".  Have I got the right program? Can I keep it on my computer? It seems to work OK. Do I need the other one?

Grateful for your help.

linloin

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Adwcleaner, it's there.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

It should say Malwarebytes (free) If it said trial thaty implies you opted for the free trial of the premium version . That has real time scanning available so to check settings and detection and protection and see if malware protection can be enabled mine is greyed out. Also scheduling .and advanced settings are available not greyed out.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

In my link it says this:

- NOTE: to keep Malwarebytes actually free of charge, do NOT accept the free trial offer.  If you do you will end up with the wrong version.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I should have added, uninstall the trial and reinstall the free version.  It's clearly marked on MBAM website.   Do not accept any trial offer at all.

Just remember to update it before each use.

The other software I suggested is AdwCleaner and that is also in my link.

0 Kudos