Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Oaksva
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

IE Search Redirection and Unable to open certain programs (

Am having the same problems and error messages as described in a "Solved Forum" for Moonj and Mcafe007. Appears "Paullotion" provided great assistance in resolving problem, but couldn't find the instructions used for resolution. Would love the same advice! I am running a XP Home, SP3 OS. Several folks in the family use the computer so there are multiple user identities.

My problem started with fake antivirus alerts. I was unable to run Mcafee Scanner (Mcafee Security Suite provided through Cox) to address the problem, receiving the message: "Scanning has encountered a problem from which it cannot recover. Here are the problem details: Error starting On Demand Scanner..." In addition to this continuing problem, Mcafee has stopped downloading new updates and is unable to fix protection issues.

I then tried to run Malwarebytes and received the message: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file name. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I tried to clean the problem with several solutions (ran mcafee dat in safe mode via command prompt, spyware doctor). Was able to identify several viruses/trojans - artemis variants and generic!. Cleaned them and the false alerts have stopped.

However, problem with Google search redirection continued. When I tried to download Microsoft's Malicious Software removal tool, IE 8 stopped working. I uninstalled and then attempted to download and reinstall IE8 from Microsoft. It seems like it downloaded and installed, but I get the same message as for Malwarebytes when I try to open the program. Also the desktop and program list icons for these 2 programs show as the generic Microsoft application symbols, not their customized icon.

I downloaded the Safari browser software via the Apple update utility and that seems to be working. However, I think may be a redirection issue even with this browser.

Any help address this persistent, incredibly frustrating problem would be greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
5 Replies

RE: IE Search Redirection and Unable to open certain programs (

Hello

Try secured2k boot cd.
http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=231079

If that does not resolve the issue.

Register at this forum Here and follow the steps outlined Here.

Post all the required logs in that forum, Not Here.

Good luck.
Oaksva
Level 7
Message 3 of 6

Running dds tool?

Thanks for your response. I am registered with the indicated forum and downloaded the dds program. However, when I click on the desktop icon the Dos-like window opens and quickly closes. I uninstalled the non-functioning Mcafee security suite thinking it might have still been blocking the program, but the problem persists. The Tech Support thread mentions disabling script blocking. Any advice on how to do that or other steps I should take.

Much appreciated!

RE: Running dds tool?

DDS sometimes does not run for whatever reason, do not worry about the script blocking message, carry on with the rest of the instructions. If you are unable to run any of the tools, post that information in your first post. Stay off the internet as much as you can as you have no protection on board.

Be patient and they will get to you.

Good luck.
Oaksva
Level 7
Message 5 of 6

Posted on other forum as suggested

I have run the secured2k boot disk and was able to get the DDS program to run. I have posted the info and files to the other forum site. Should I keep trying to download a virus program in hopes of finding one that will work or wait until the problem is resolved?

Any idea how this problem was able to get past an active, up-to-date security suite? I can educate other family members. They seem to cause the problem and I get to correct it!

Thanks again.

RE: Posted on other forum as suggested

Good job on getting the DDS/GMER to run. No, do not make any changes to your system at this time, that includes installing any antivirus/spyware programs.

No security application will offer 100% coverage i am afraid. It basically comes down to these factors:

1. You choose to install something that is malicious, that could come via a fake scanner page; downloading from P2P; visiting crack/warez sites; opening attachments in your e-mail; clicking on links just for the sake of it; whether it is detected by the vendor should not factor into this, you are the first line in securing your machine.

2. Operating machine vulnerability, make sure you keep up to date with all MS patches.

3. Third-party installed software that is outdated, these can be exploited. You can do a scan at Secunia PSIto check for out of date applications. If there are programs installed that you no longer need/use, remove them. Use this after you are clean.

Most importantly, educate yourself and your family members on how best to protect your machine. Here is a well written example.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-center/general-computer-security/115548-pc-safety-security-...

I shall close this thread as you will be better served at TSF at this time.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community