cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
falfel
Level 7

I tried to re-install McAfee following an apparent virus infection and got a warning if I want to install Sasetup3.0.1.165.exe. Is this a legitimate McAfee download?

I tried to re-install McAfee following an apparent virus infection and got a warning asking if I wanted to run Sasetup3.0.1.165.exe.  Does anyone know if Is this a legitimate McAfee file?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sgrimmel
Level 11

Re: I tried to re-install McAfee following an apparent virus infection and got a warning if I want to install Sasetup3.0.1.165.exe. Is this a legitimate McAfee download?

Hi

While Sasetup3.0.1.165.exe should refer to McAfee SiteAdvisor, without knowing what program you are reinstalling, it is impossible to exclude the possibility something else is active.

Minimum further information required:

• Which particular McAfee software are you trying to reinstall?
  • What virus was detected and by which software?
  • What prompted you to reinstall your software?

Regards

0 Kudos
falfel
Level 7

Re: I tried to re-install McAfee following an apparent virus infection and got a warning if I want to install Sasetup3.0.1.165.exe. Is this a legitimate McAfee download?

Unfortunately when the viruses hit, it first appeared on my MS Security Center and listed a number of viruses.  In my panic I did not write them down - sorry.

As I attemtped to use McAfee to resolve the situation, McAfee at one point suggested that I re-install their software.  That is where I received the message previously mentioned.  As to which program I was attempting to install, I believe it was the package that contains the following:

SecurityCenter

VirusScan

PersonalFirewall

SiteAdvisor

Anti-Spam

Background (offered for what it's worth) - the site I was on that began this mess was one that has several photos, one of which was titled something like "photos Disney doesn't want you to see."  The photo that I clicked was one of what appeared to be Snow White being led away by a police officer.  Once I clicked on the picture, the next photo that appeared was of two women with cutout t-shirts, exposing their breasts, but decorated as Disney characters that covered their (sorry for the technicals) nipples and aerolae.  Certainly not what I was expecting.  That's when the MS Security Center popped up with all the viruses.

I know this may not be enough, but I am very concerned that my PC in still infected.  I did restore my PC to a point on the day before this event, but I don't know if this would have eliminated the viruses.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Moved to Malware Discussions > Home User Assistance for further attention.

Try right-clicking thet taskbar McAfee icon and updating.

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking by tapping F8 while booting up and go to Computer (My Computer in XP) right-click the hard drive and select scan.

See if any malware is discovered.

If not try the solutions outlined in this document:  http://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 30/04/10 3:24:28 EDT PM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I forgot to add that sas is that particular version:

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos