Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

I think I may have been hacked...

Hey guys... I had a problem just recently, I think I may have been hacked.... I was working on my computer when I got a message "windows fax message not able to be sent" and it had one of my most confidential files attached in the messagebox. When I went to Windows fax I did not see that it had sent any documents.

When I ran Mcafee scanner it came up with no viruses or flags. I also normally keep my computer on stealth mode so its not seen over the internet.

Any ideas on how to figure out what is happening on my PC? I also sometimes get a disconnect then reconnect from the net. I use Windows Vista business and time warner cable modem.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 21

Re: I think I may have been hacked...

I moved this to Malware Discussion, Home User Assistance as a better spot for it.

Run Malwarebytes Free to see if it detects anything. See the last link below and note that it can be downloaded, updated and run all in "Safe Mode With Networking".

Note also to keep it free of charge do NOT accept the free trial nor activate it, if asked to.

Also you may want to follow the Hijackthis steps outlined nearer the end of that post.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos