cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I have an adware problem. OS windows 8.0 with McAfee installed through my internetprovider. I get popup ads all thetime and my network freezes up. I also get a window the opens up that makes no sense and has loud music on it. My scans are up to

Can you help me with an adware problem?  At least, I think that is the problem.  My OS is windows 8.0 with McAfee installed through my internet provider.  I get popup ads all the time and my windows freeze up.  I also get a window that opens up that makes no sense and plays loud music. I am afraid to use some of the help out there from "techies" because they end up wanting to sell me something.  I need some safe smart advice please. thank you

8 Replies
Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Re: I think I have an adware problem. OS windows 8.0 with McAfee installed through my internetprovider. I get popup ads all thetime and my network freezes up. I also get a window the opens up that makes no sense and has loud music on it. My scans are up

First of all make certain that you are current and up to date with all of your Windows Updates/Add-ons.To include Internet Explorer, even if you choose to not use it. McAfee and other important Programs do to function properly.

I would suggest that you run AdwCleaner, followed by Malwarebytes (Free) Version only. Do not accept the Free trial offer/or activate. These Superb/Trusted/Reliable Tools and more can be found in the following Link:

You also may find the following article both informative/Helpful:

Wishing you all the best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Re: I think I have an adware problem. OS windows 8.0 with McAfee installed through my internetprovider. I get popup ads all thetime and my network freezes up. I also get a window the opens up that makes no sense and has loud music on it. My scans are up

I would add that first install and run getsusp also in that link Cd gave you as it will send any files McAfee does not recognize to McAfee so that they can be detected in a future virus engine update. Add your email address to the preference so McAfee can update you . Then run the other programs as getsup is not a cleaning program but more an investigation one.

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Re: I think I have an adware problem.  OS windows 8.0 with McAfee installed through my internetprovider.  I get popup ads all thetime and my network freezes up. I also get a window the opens up that makes no sense and has loud music on it. My scans are up

Thanks Tony...Excellent advice

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Moved to the Home User Assistance sub-section as the right spot for it.

Highlighted
raya5n
Level 7
Message 6 of 9

Alright,

As you using Windows 8.0, you're good to go. You can refresh the computer. I think you would Lose McAfee Security, But you can reinstall it from McAfee Account Online.

Thank You.

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Like you I noticed the OP stating Windows (8). Therefore my very first suggestion was to make certain that (all) Windows Updates were current and up to date. Windows 8/8.1. Before proceeding any further...

Just thought I would add that

Regards,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
raya5n
Level 7
Message 8 of 9

Re: I think I have an adware problem.  OS windows 8.0 with McAfee installed through my internetprovider.  I get popup ads all thetime and my network freezes up. I also get a window the opens up that makes no sense and has loud music on it. My scans are up

Okay. 

Thank You.

Regards,

Suresh Vishwakarma

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 9

As Catdaddy suggested, it's far better to try to tackle the adware than starting the system from scratch.

Peter.gif

Toronto ▪ Canada

Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers
How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools