cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 14

I just had a screen pop up that says that my computer is blocked by this thing called "ICE"

I just had a screen pop up that says that my computer has been blocked by this thing called " ICE " and that my computer will stay blocked until I pay $300.00 US. It also says that I only have 48 hours to pay or my computer will stay blocked. I am writing this on my phone. Any help would be great.

13 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: I just had a screen pop up that says that my computer is blocked by this thing called "ICE" due to illegal activity and the only way to unlock it is to pay $300.00 USD. Has anyone else run into this? What kind of scam is this? Any help would be great.

@jw79591,

You may try this Removal Guide: 3 Easy Ways to Remove "The ICE Cyber Crime Center" virus    Also I would refrain from Posting your Personal Email Address for your own safety.

(Note) : To keep Malwarebytes (Free) DO NOT accept any Free Trial Offers/or accept Activation during the Download process.

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted
Level 9
Message 3 of 14

Re: I just had a screen pop up that says that my computer is blocked by this thing called "ICE" due to illegal activity and the only way to unlock it is to pay $300.00 USD. Has anyone else run into this? What kind of scam is this? Any help would be great.

I am curious:

Did you have an active and updated AV product running when this occurred? Just interested if this malware was missed by anything.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 14

The (Ransomeware Virus-Ice) is associated with the (Trojan:W32/Reveton-Variants). Even with a Updated/Active Anti-Virus one can be tricked into Installing it. As the Dropper Code is usually bundled with a seemingly Legitimate application.

For instance, Fake Adobe Flash Player Updates. If you ever visit a Site and receive a Pop-up stating you need to install Adobe Flash Player,(When you may already know you have the Latest Current Version already)  immediately "Power off", for even simply by clicking "No or closing the prompt" could allow it through your firewall.

Also, Running the Latest McAfee Getsusp Tool will detect any Suspicious/Unknown Variants and will add them to the McAfee GTI Date Base. Simply enter your Email Address under "Preferences" before scanning. This Superb Tool and others can be found here:

Just thought I would add that

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 5 of 14

Well done!  Good information.  All kinds of ways to take care of ransomware, but this is good.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 14

You are quite welcome...

You may find these two articles most informative, as to how these Programs arrive on one,s system:

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted
Level 10
Message 7 of 14

Catdaddy:  In a previous posting, you wrote: "For instance, Fake Adobe Flash Player Updates. If you ever visit a Site and receive a Pop-up stating you need to install Adobe Flash Player,(When you may already know you have the Latest Current Version already)  immediately "Power off", for even simply by clicking "No or closing the prompt" could allow it through your firewall."

I'm still learning terminology, so what does "Power Off" mean and how is it done?

Thank you.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Re: I just had a screen pop up that says that my computer is blocked by this thing called "ICE"

I see that my Colleague Ex_Brit more than adequately has already answered your question. I only wanted to acknowledge that I am online and offline here of late.

Wishing all the best

Catdaddy

McAfee Communtiy Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Could you please apprise us if your issues have been resolved, or not?

Thank you in Advance,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted

Re: I just had a screen pop up that says that my computer is blocked by this thing called "ICE"

Power off means pull the plug, switch the machine off, without doing the usual shutdown procedure.

BTW I edited the original header to fit.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community