cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katesang
Level 7

I have a Security Tool Virus that posed as Anti Virus Protection and now it won't let me set up McAfee

A box popped up while I was on the internet and it said "warning your computer may be infected by a virus" I wasn't sure if it was real or not and since just got a brand new computer I figured it was the antivirus kicking in, so I clicked ok. It downloaded something called "Security Tool" and it pops up everywhere and now I can't even open McAfee to get it started or even click on my help and support on my start button. How do I get rid of this if it won't let me download anything?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ptrcrny
Level 7

Re: I have a Security Tool Virus that posed as Anti Virus Protection and now it won't let me set up McAfee

I have this problem, too. My computer finally allowed me to open my emails after I unplugged it while that software was blocking all access to any accounts, but it is running really slowly now and I fear it is doing something else.

0 Kudos
mithra4096
Level 7

Re: I have a Security Tool Virus that posed as Anti Virus Protection and now it won't let me set up McAfee

I had this problem today as well.  I turned McAfee on and it killed it straight away, but left my system in a "broken" state where my desktop icons wouldn't launch the associated program.  Apparently the system association for EXE files had been broken, I found reg fix and solved the problem.

I understand its just a bogus virus scanner that's trying to extort money from people who believe their system is infected.  Well the truth of the matter is that it IS infected, but the trojan is the "scanner", not what it reports.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 2nd computer; I've simply decided to segregate certain activities between boxes, doing my instant messaging and financial work on one while playing games and browsing the internet on my main machine.  I was trying to get some feedback from McAfee whether this particular trojan was a password stealer  or key logger, but I don't want to take any chances.

Something else that McAfee might not be aware of, but I believe there are free-to-play Chinese MMOs out there that quite possibly serve no real function except to propagate malware.  This has happened to me twice before after downloading a foreign video game that on the surface appeared legitimate.  The bad thing is, these games work and have 100% appearance of legitimacy, but I still think their primary function is to pump out viruses.  Its bad enough their "industry" puts out poison baby food, I don't think its a big stretch to think they cobble together these cookie-cutter MMOs for illegal reasons as well.

0 Kudos
katesang
Level 7

The only problem with all these suggestions is that the virus won't let anything download, I can't even open documents or anything on my desktop, so it's impossible to set up my McAfee or go to another site to scan for viruses. I think I'm just going to bring it somewhere, I'm not very tech savvy, so I think that will be better, lol.

0 Kudos
mithra4096
Level 7

I'm going to guess the reason my EXE associations were broken and the reason your system is running slow might be because this trojan associates itself with the exe extension and acts as a "pass through" or launcher for all your other processes.

0 Kudos
ptrcrny
Level 7

Thanks for your info on the last 2 posts. I had McAfee do a full scan and they apparently didn't come up with anything. You said yours was "killed" right away. How do I fix the exe connections you mentioned?

0 Kudos
ptrcrny
Level 7

Mithra, what is reg fix?

0 Kudos
mithra4096
Level 7

From another site...

Go To www.dougknox.com
In the left hand column, click WinXP fixes
Then in the list that comes up, click File Association fixes
Then in the next list that appears, click EXE File Association Fix

Or just click this, same difference

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip

Inside the zip there is a .reg file which will restore your exe association.  I popped it open in notepad first and it looked OK, so I ran it and my shortcuts started working again.  *shrugs*

McAfee cleaned the trojan but in deleting it, I think it was still configured under windows as a "launcher" for everything else, and having been quarantined, windows could find the right "app" for each exe anymore.  Kindof ingenious really.

0 Kudos
x-imikhlin
Level 9

Hello,

It seems you are infected with something from FakeAlert family. Can you boot your computer in Safe Mode?

Irene

0 Kudos
Irish62
Level 7

I had this virus show up yesterday and running a McAfee full scan did not help at all (was not detected).  I was going to try other antivirus websites but had trouble running my explorer.  I finally ran my Windows system recovery and that appeared to work without losing any documents or files.

0 Kudos