cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ray
Level 7

I got the security suite mal/spyware on my PC even though I have a paid subscription

my pc got infected with this "security suite" virus even though I have a paid subscription to Mcafee. When I called mcafee, I was advised to buy something else to get it removed. Some years back, I switched from Norton because they were doing the same thing. I thought Mcafee may be better. I discovered they are all the same. You pay them to protect your computer and they want to get more money out of you for doing what they were supposed to do in the first place. Any one have suggestion for some other pc protection service other than norton and mcafee?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/09/10 5:20:57 EDT PM
0 Kudos
3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: I got the security suite mal/spyware on my PC even though I have a paid subscription

No antivirus is going to stop everything out there no matter what brand.   Also most antivirus makers charge for virus removal services.

However all is not lost

If it is AV Security Suite there is an excellent removal guide here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-av-security-suite

Scroll down the page and do not click those first links you see as they are advertising.

For brevity's sake I shortened your header.

0 Kudos
noiopener
Level 7

Re: I got the security suite mal/spyware on my PC even though I have a paid subscription

I totally agree with "Ray's" posting. The same thing happened to me in Aug. 2010 and my computer service tech advised me that I must format my computer in order to rid my OS of this virus. McAfee did not protect me from this virus even though my neice knew of this problem through a computer programmer trade publication months ago in early 2010. I dropped Norton Symantec years ago due to uncompatibility problems, purchasd McAfee and now I am VERY disappointed in McAfee. I went through the process of formatting my computer and am now still in the process of re-installing all my apps...... a big chore!.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

These kind of 'infections' are fake anti-malware and whilst in themselves are not an infection per se, clicking anything in them will start the ball rolling in that direction.  As I prevously stated, no antivirus software will protect 100% against everything that's out there.  You have to exercise due caution and keep extra anti-spyware tools handy.

0 Kudos