cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

I entered my credit card on the Live Security Platinum update?

Jump to solution

Was this fake? Do I need to cancel my card. When I hit submit it gave me an error.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8
Message 5 of 9

Re: I entered my credit card on the Live Security Platinum update?

Jump to solution

No one else outside of family should have access. It is just a notebook shared by wife and kids. I will check on-line banking and change password. Thanks again for your help!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

You must never simply hand over credit cards to anyone who asks for them, check that they are genuine first - do a Google search if you don't recognize them.

I would imagine that person, most likely in Russia somewhere, is about to use your card to make large purchases, if they haven't done so already.

I would cancel the card immediately.    Those fake anti-malware popups are designed to appear genuine and although they may throw up errors, they are absorbing as much information as possible.

You should also password protect your user name in Windows.  If it already has a password, change it and those of any other user accoiunt.

Read here regarding this problem:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/46967?tstart=0 or here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/47087?tstart=0

Your fastest way out of this is to power off and then boot into Safe Mode and initiate System Restore to a time way before all of it happened.   Then make sure everything, and I mean everything is updated properly and you change those passwords...and get a new card.

Fortunately most credit card companies allow disputes of transactions that aren't signed for by you personally.

If System Restore completes OK then temporarily disable it to get rid of the infected files.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 31/07/12 6:26:07 EDT PM
Highlighted
Level 8
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. I followed the malware insructions in one of the previous threads and removed it from my system. What do you mean by "password protect my user name in windows?" Are saying that I need to make sure I enter a password on my pc when I log in or something else? 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

That's great.  No I meant if anyone else has access to your PC you should all be using password-protected log-ins.    Not as important as protecting that credit card though.   If you do online banking you might want to also check that's OK.

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

No one else outside of family should have access. It is just a notebook shared by wife and kids. I will check on-line banking and change password. Thanks again for your help!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

OK, good luck.

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

Sorry. One more question. Did that Security Platinum site ask for a password? I know I entered my credit card and email, but I can't remember if that site requested a password or not?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I'm afraid I wouldn't know.  All I do know if that Live Security Platinum is fake anti-malware and fraudulent and run from somewhere in the old Soviet bloc where the laws on such things is lax.

Jump to solution

It's a scam. All Live Security Platinum affiliate networks are in Russia. Scammers have to change payment gateways rather often. It takes time. One of their gateways probably wasn't working so you may consider yourself lucky. Usually, they sell credit card info for $5 or so in underground carding forums.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community