cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot log in due to userinit.exe virus. Please help!

When I enter my password and try to log in there appears "welcome" and than the screen gets blank and nothing happens. When I open Windows Task-Manager there are about 100 processes running there named userinit.exe and 700K each. When I try closing them they don't decrease in number. I managed to open the Security Center and the firewall there was switched off. I think it was disabled by this virus. I made a full scan but McAfee didn't discover any threads. Now I have access to my documents and can use Internet, but I cannot login properly in the system. These userinit.exe processes keep running. What shall I do? Please help!

3 Replies

Re: I cannot log in due to userinit.exe virus. Please help!

Go to

Start>Run>Msconfig>startup  Or Taskmanager>Newtask>Msconfig>startup

disable all startup items and try to reboot the computer

Thanks for instructions, but it didn't help. I can still open explorer.exe only through Ctrl+Alt+Del and Task-Manager.

Highlighted

In order for us to research this question, please send us a sample for analysis, in a password-protected ZIP file (password - infected).  You can find detailed instructions for how to do this at <http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx>

Please find the actual userinit.exe on your system, zip it up as described above and submit for analysis. When you get analyst's response, please post it in this thread.

Hope that helps,

Irene

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community