cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot install mcafee after virus or something

I recently caught in a virus or something. Before, I use another Anti-Virus. But the anti-virus is disabled by the virus. And it even cannot recgonize the virus.

3 problems. Anti-virus disabled and cannot be started (even from msconfig), cannot connect to the internet, and cannot start in safe mode. plus,all usb drive will be infected if I insert it into the computer.

I tried googling for the virus name in another computer. Found that mcafee has data about it. So I've uninstall the old anti-virus and install mcAfee full 2009. Installation completed successfully, but mcafee didn't appear. I tried starting it from the start menu, and from the program files, only mcAfee label pop for seconds, and closed again.

I'm not sure what is the root, but I tried scanning my computer with anti-malware. it detects 6to4.dll as a malware. tried forrce delete, and delete after reboot. Came back after booted.

What should I do to make my computer normal again? please do not suggest me to safe mode, or online scanning. because I can't.

3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: I cannot install mcafee after virus or something

Hi,

If you have access to another computer, where you'd be able to create a bootable CD, try this tool:

http://community.mcafee.com/thread/6923

It seems like you've got a rootkit infection that prevented mcafee from running properly.

Irene

Hi too.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually is trying to make a bootable CD. But after that, what should I do if I've booted in the windows?

Please have a look at the instructions in that link above. This bootable CD should allow you to run McAfee VirusScan, and also some network access.

If that .dll you've mentioned is still around on your disk, you can send it to McAfee, as described here: https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp

Hope that helps.

Irene

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community