cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malbarda
Level 7

How to remove Malware 360 pop up (I think Chrome related)

Pop up shows on launching Chrome each time you launch it after a restart. Running Windows 8.1 with Chrome. My son probably downloaded this while downloading dodgy minecraft packs or extension. McAfee has not picked up anything. I have cleaned up a ton of Chrome extensions and unwanted software on W8. But this pop-up still pops up. Help?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: How to remove Malware 360 pop up (I think Chrome related)

"Malware 360" ?   Are you sure that's the exact name as I can't find anything related to that name as you gave it.

Run GetSusp to report it to McAfee, run Malwarebytes Free and perhaps AdfwCleaner as well.....all linked in the last link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

Peacekeeper
Level 20

this the popup?

From what I read this is a new ransomware type malware and only a recent arrival. The getsusp program peter mentioned will hopefully detect it and pass the info onto Mcafee so they can update their detection.  The other programs might by now have detection working.

catdaddy
Level 20

That is what I ascertained as well. There also has been "Rogue Security Apps" such as PcDefender 360/Anti Virus 360 around for ages. Almost all of the Removal Guides recommend using Malwarebytes (Free).

Like you said, this being a new arrival. Peter suggesting to run McAfee Getsusp was excellent advice..

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
malbarda
Level 7

Yes, Peacekeeper, that WAS the pop-up. I cleansed my son's laptop from a ton of crappy stuff he had inadvertently downloaded with Minecraft and Clash of Clans stuff (not from the original creators, but extensions offered by perhaps slightly more rogue creators...). I did this both in Windows as well as in the Chrome extensions.

Then I ran a full McAfee scan overnight and presto - 5 malware programs quarantined.

Thank you all for the suggestions - happy son and happy dad!

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Glad you are OK now.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

I would also clean all temp folders both internet and windows. the windows disk clean program will do this for you. It is in programs admin tools in win 8 at least. Also clearing browser caches would be a good idea.

Good luck

0 Kudos
malbarda
Level 7

Thanks, Peacekeeper. Followed your suggestions, and it seems the laptop has remained clean for the past 24 hours. The pop-up didn't seem to do any harm other than being annoying. But I have no idea what it all did in the background. Anyway - it is gone now thanks to McAfee and my cleaning/deletion efforts and the support from this community.

Thanks to all again!

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Glad to hear

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

As Colleagues Ex_Brit and Peacekeeper Stated, Glad that all is functioning well for you. Always keep in mind that Minecraft/Steam/Foxhud will generally on occasion prompt a Alert/or Detection. You have to pay very close attention to where you download from, and even then on some occasion, downloads may be bundled with other Applications/Optional offers.

You may find the following articles most informative:

Again, wishing you all the very Best.

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos