Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
morema
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

How to disable PUP pop-ups and get rid of the PUP?

I keep getting pop-ups about a blocked PUP in the bottom of my screen. I press "remove" and then "OK", but the popup keeps appearing every 15 seconds or so. The blocked program is always "PUP-FNK", "PUP-FPS", "BrowseFox", "BrowseFox.e" or "Adware-BrowseFox". It's very frustrating and I'm confused if the program is being deleted and re-installed or something else? Please help me!! Thank you!

- Morgan

6 Replies
Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: How to disable PUP pop-ups and get rid of the PUP?

Moved to Malware Discussion >Home User Assistance > Discussions - By Moderator

It seems that you have inadvertently installed some Potentially Unwanted Programs (Pups).

Please Try the following Removal Guide: Remove PUP.Optional.BrowseFox.A (Removal Guide)

With-in this Removal Guide you will be required to Download/Install Malwarebytes (Free) To keep it Free DO NOT enable or accept any Free Trial Offers/or Activate the Pro or Paid Version all throughout the process. There are different variants of the (BrowseFox) PUP, however the Removal Guide suggested should remove them all.

(Please select any Detections found and Delete/Restart to entirely remove all remnants of said infections.)

To give you a better understanding of how these programs arrived on your system, these two articles

are most informative:

All the Very Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 7

I might also add, that the Detections (PUP-FNK,PUP-FPS) seem to be a McAfee classification of the Detections. Before running the Removal Guide I inserted, you can Double click your McAfee Icon in the lower Task Bar to open your McAfee UI.

Go to Navigation > Quarantined and Trusted Items > Expand Quarantined Items/Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs > Select Delete > Restart.

Also, I would run the Latest McAfee Getsusp Utility, Please add your Email address under "Preferences" before scanning. This will add any additional Unknown/Suspicious Programs to the McAfee GTI Data Base for future Detections.

This Superb (Free) Tool and others can be obtained from the following Link :

Again, All the very Best

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
morema
Level 7
Message 4 of 7

Thank you! It's all better now!

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Glad that all is okay now

Also, I might add please read those two articles I inserted in Post #1.  As it will basically explain how it came to be, you contracted those  ( Nasties ). One can never be (Too Careful) these days when Downloading/Installing Programs.

All the very Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

As well I would clean out all windows and internet temp files as well as browser caches. Probably not necessary but worth doing regularly

morema
Level 7
Message 7 of 7

Thank you so much!!

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.