cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hicks870
Level 7

How do you get rid of trojan FakeAlert!fakealert-REPtrojan!!! , tried McAfee & Norton, still have it?

Can someone tell me real simply how to get rid of this virus?  It is called  FakeAlert!fakealert-REPtrojan!!!    and is located on my computer at  C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\InstallShield\Engine\6\Intel32\\Kernel.exe      , How do i get this out of my computer, it will not allow me to take a survey at all?  I have a McAfee subscription i pay monthly for and have for a long time, ran the scan and it showed nothing, so i ran the stinger tool , and it shows it, but it says cannot be repaired.  It won't remove it. I ran McAfee Virtual Technician, only to be told i didn't have any McAfee products downloaded, but i did have, i had the mcafee virus protection downloaded and also the stinger , but virtual technician didn't recognize them.  I stripped off McAfee, and i had a 60 day free trial on this computer when i bought it of Norton and i installed it, ran it and it doesn't catch it either.  Also downloaded Norton's tool and tried it, didn't do it either.  so now back to McAfee, i need this removed from my computer.  I have restored it back to factory every day this week and it is still on my computer.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: How do you get rid of trojan FakeAlert!fakealert-REPtrojan!!! , tried McAfee & Norton, still have it?

Did you have stinger set to report only and have you tried it in safe mode that might free up the file to allow its removal.

Also

ow is your system now? Any changes?

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

0 Kudos
paullotion
Level 11

Re: How do you get rid of trojan FakeAlert!fakealert-REPtrojan!!! , tried McAfee & Norton, still have it?

Hello -

I believe this detection is a false alarm, the detection is generic so Mcafee does not know if the file is good or bad. The file may be part of  HP`s nVidia driver, so DO NOT delete the file until it has been confirmed.

You can send the file to the lab or have it scanned by other vendors in link below:

http://www.virustotal.com/index.html

0 Kudos
sbrown77
Level 7

This is what I having problems with for the last two days.  Stinger stating that Fakealert!-REP virus is on my PC.

I ran McAfee, Stinger Stopzilla, and Malwarebytes.

Stinger and Stopzilla results were that this virus was there.

This is what I did:

1.  Program Files\RealArcade\bin folder - I deleted the entire folder

2.  Program files\FP_AX_CAB_NSTALLER.exe - was nother there

3.  System32\swsc.exe - did not touch this (important)

Is this a fake detection or is it real?  Can someone help me with this issue.  Thanking you inadvance.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Did you forward the file to Macfee for analysis

http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx

When you get a reply reply to it with possible fake alert and name of malware in subject

Ask for a manual review.

Also summit the file to http://www.virustotal.com/

Post back what they say

0 Kudos