cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do verify McAfee Internet Security on computer has received all updates since purchase?

I wrote one message and it disappeared.  I'm not doing another.  Just please answer the subject question, because I ended up with a trojan that McAfee didn't find.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: How do verify McAfee Internet Security on computer has received all updates since purchase?

If you open SecurityCenter by right-clicking the taskbar icon/select or double-clicking it and it says 'Your Computer Is Secure' and the bar is green then it's up to date.    No antivirus is 100% guaranteed to stop everything there is out there unfortunately but with wise use of the computer and always keeping all aspects of it totally up to date helps a lot.     There are free tools that can help in the case of infection, see:  Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools for ideas.

0 Kudos

Re: How do verify McAfee Internet Security on computer has received all updates since purchase?

I realize there is no 100% guarantee of safety on the Internet, and McAfee may not be perfect.  I've used McAfee Internet Security for almost two years with no problem.  All of a sudden in late January, messages started popping up in the middle of the screen:  Message from web site.  These messages advised that my browser or drivers were old and needed renewing.  I use Windows Internet Explorer 8. The only way to remove these messages without clicking on them was to disconnect from the Internet and restart the computer.  After researching this problem with the particular web site where the events regarding third party advertisers occurred and Microsoft Answers, I discovered the messages were linked to blacklisted sites.  It was also recommended that I download two other malware detecting programs --Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Super Anti Spyware.  When these programs were run, after a McAfee scan showed nothing, they found malware.  This is why I asked the question about verifying McAfee updates had actually arrived and been installed in the McAfee program.  I thought I might have disconnected from the Internet during an update, and all updates were not received.

The present situation is that I am still getting warning messages while visiting the particular web-site, and the site is investigating.  I feel the site is something like a gateway.  Also, there is very likely a culprit still hiding on the computer, and the only way to get rid of it is by reinstalling Windows XP -- not a solution I want to think about because of the cost and starting all over again. 

Message was edited by: earthtraveler on 2/9/12 1:18:41 PM CST
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

It's not possible to miss updates unless of course you remain permanently disconnected from the web, in which case the software would bug you about it anyway.    The next update to come in would play 'Catch-up' and you would be current once again.   It's an unfortunate fact that there some rather vicious malware out there that eludes any of the major antivirus software and extraordinary measures have to be resorted to.

0 Kudos

Your last reply answered was helpful.  Thank you.  Your reply indicates that if I decide to do a System Restore back to December 2011, McAfee Internet Security would then deliver updates to the current date, for example February 12, 2012.  Is this correct?  I also assume I will have to contact Microsoft to reinstall any updates that were removed by System Restore.  Is this correct?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Yes, it's easy, as System Restore takes you back in time, once done simply right-click the taskbar icon and 'Check for Updates' and go to Windows Update and do the same for Windows itself.

I  made sure I could find the location of the task bar icon on McAfee Internet Security.  It is  Updates: (at present showing Current).. I know all of this is simple for you.  I, however, am still learning.

I think your latest response brings to an end all my present questions.

Again, thank you for helping.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos