cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove the trojan / worm VBS/Autorun.worm.aapn!lnk ?

Mcafee Internet Security detected the  trojan / worm VBS/Autorun.worm.aapn!lnk on my removal USB memory sticks and on my USB HDD.

How do I remove this trojan/worm?

I updated Mcafee Internet Security to the latest DAT.

Whenever I plug on my USB storage devices into my PC, Mcafee Internet Security informs me that it quarantined the trojan/worm (see attached print screen) but it doesnt seem to remove the trojan/worm from the USB storage device.

Can somebody help with the exact steps?  I have 5 USB storage device now infected.

Thank you for your help and consideration.

10 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 11

Re: How do I remove the trojan / worm VBS/Autorun.worm.aapn!lnk ?

If you think it may not be an infection you could follow my instructions here: https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

Otherwise perhaps try running Malwarebytes Free and scan the USB drive in particular.   See the last link in my signature below.

Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 11

By the way here's the profile of that detection:  http://www.mcafee.com/threat-intelligence/malware/default.aspx?id=6074297

All my USBs are being flagged by McAfee as still having this worm even after McAfee had quarantined the worm.

I saw the the profile of that detection and it was not useful except that the most recent DAT file has info on this worm.

I tried AVAST removable media scanner.  It finds the worm and allegedly removes it but then McAfee flags it again.

I tired Malwarebytes and it doesnt find the worm.Capture 6.PNG

BTW, this worm shows all the directories on the USBs as shortcuts (links).  If you doubleclick on the shortcut, then the actual directory folder opens in a new window.

Also, Windows 7 responds by stating that the USB needs to be scaned and fixed (seee attached screen shot) but this doesnt remove the worm.

I still dont know how to remove this worm.

I tried

Just tried Adaware.  It found all the worms and removed them but then McAfee flags the worm again.

Pls can you enlighten me: this trojan / worm is sitting on my PC or only on the USBs?  I have already done a full deep scan of the PC hard disks and noe of these threats came up.

Thanks.

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Can you format the USB drives/sticks?   Doing that would wipe them clean.

I formatted one USB (complete format and NOT quick format).  However, when I plug my USB storage devices into my PC, Mcafee Internet Security informs me that it quarantined the trojan/worm (see attached print screen) but it doesnt seem to remove the trojan/worm from the USB storage device.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Have you examined them in Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management?  I'm wondering if they perhaps have a hidden partition that's causing this.  That should be revealed in Disk management.

I'm not too sure what to suggest other than perhaps running Hijackthis and posting the log along with the details of this problem on one of the specilaist forums listed lower down the last link in my signature below.

Will check the partition now.

I will also try Hijackthis.  never used it before.

Thanks for ur patience.

Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Good luck.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community