cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cba2009
Level 7

How do I remove batmeter16.dll trojan?

Yesterday, I suspected that my computer was infected, so I ran McAfee and it found and quarantined three Trojans.  After the scan was finished and I closed the security center, I tried to open it again by clicking on the desktop icon, but nothing happened.  I then completely removed McAfee from my computer and tried reinstalling it, but after the re-installation, McAfee still would not open when I clicked on the desktop icon.  I contacted McAfee technical support via online chat and was told to run the free virus scan from McAfee.  The scan detected one virus, batmeter16.dll.  I contacted technical support again, and they suggested that I contact the virus removal team (obviously a paid service) to remove it.  They also said that no antivirus package would install correctly on my computer until the virus was removed.  How can I remove this virus from my PC without paying McAfee (or anyone else) to help?  Clear, step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
secured2k
Level 11

Re: How do I remove batmeter16.dll trojan?

This file is usually associated with a rootkit virus named "Vundo".

You can download and run/install these two programs and they might be able to stop this virus if it's not hiding or denying access to its files.

QuickScan - Uses McAfee detection abilities. Please post the log file.

MalwareBytes - Use the Free version and choose Remove Threats when the Quick Scan is done. Then Reboot.

0 Kudos
cba2009
Level 7

Thanks, I will give that a try a post the results.  How dangerous is this particular virus?  What effect will it have on my computer?  Do I need to be worried about it stealing my passwords and other personal information?

0 Kudos
secured2k
Level 11

The range of danger depends on what else was packaged with the malware. Most of the time, things like Vundo are more of an annoyance as they pop up ads. Again, other malware may be included that may try to steal information.

0 Kudos
cba2009
Level 7

Thanks so much Mark.  The Malwarebytes solution worked perfectly -- it removed the infected files, and then I was able to re-install McAfee successfully.  I'm still disappointed that McAfee did not prevent my computer from becoming infected in the first place, but at least I'm back in working order and won't need to buy that new computer quite yet.  I appreciate it!

0 Kudos
secured2k
Level 11

I'm glad I could help!

0 Kudos