cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacksix48
Level 7

How do I get rid of about.blank

Jump to solution

I have run AdWare, Malware, spybot and of course McAffee Antivirus and still can't keep about.blank from showing up ass my home page. I have reset the home page several times to my yahoo but this virus keeps showing up. Any ides?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: How do I get rid of about.blank

Jump to solution

I wanted to post a removal guide earlier but the following website was down, now it's working:  Is "about:blank" a virus? How do I remove about:blank?

8 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Try resetting your browser to clear its cache.  Also run some supplementary tools such as AdwCleaner, MalwareBytes Free, see the last link below for instructions on those.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I wanted to post a removal guide earlier but the following website was down, now it's working:  Is "about:blank" a virus? How do I remove about:blank?

Hayton
Level 17

Jump to solution

There isn't a specific "about:blank" virus as far as I know but at least one banker trojan has been known to reset the home page to about:blank in IE. Mind you this was about five years ago, and on XP.

So what is the OS here, and which browser and version?

jacksix48
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for your link to about.blank. It appears that you have gotten rid of it for me after I followed the instructions. Whew, what a nightmare it was getting rid of it and having my home page back. Much appreciated.

exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Glad you are OK now.

Good luck ;-)

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

As Colleague Ex_Brit suggested, Malware Tips .com is an Excellent/Reputable Site for removing such nusiances as About:Blank. As a matter of fact, some of the Applications involved in the Removal Guide can be found in the Following link :

You may elect to 'Bookmarking' these Superb McAfee and other (Free) Tools for future references.

All the very Best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
jacksix48
Level 7

Jump to solution

Took your advice too and bookmarked that page. What a helpful community forum. Been on some others and found no help at all.

catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

In addition, you may find the following two articles most informative, as to how your particular (Pup) arrived on your system. 

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos