cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nolte
Level 8

How can I remove Whilokii

Jump to solution

I did uninstall whilokii, but this ad malware still pops up.   I tried to follow the advice to install AdwCleaner, but McAfee calls it a Potentially Dangerous Download. So now what ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nolte
Level 8

Re: How can I remove Whilokii

Jump to solution

I ran all those cleaners, and I still got those Whilokii pop ups. Almost by accident I ran into the Whilokii website and followed through on their suggestion that it might be in my browser.

Sure enough, it had installed itself as an add-on in Firefox.    Now I got rid of it.  Finally.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Potentially dangerous is not necessarily actually dangerous.  I recommend it in the last link in my signature below under  3rd party tools so go ahead and try it.  

I just tried the BleepingComputer download link and get no warning, but the one from the author's website does givve a warning.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 30/10/13 5:54:19 EDT AM
0 Kudos
nolte
Level 8

Jump to solution

I used AdwCleaner and first it looked like it worked, but then Whilokii was popping up again.  I had not installed anything in the meantime.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

There'a a great online uninstall guide here:  http://malwaretips.com/blogs/adware-whilokii-removal/

As you'll see, it involves a few more tools in addition to that one.

I recommend most of those in my signature - last link.

0 Kudos
lukesg
Level 7

Jump to solution

I too am having this problem with whilokii, unfortunately, when ever I go to install adwcleaner.exe etc. I get an error message:

picture mcafee.png

So, as you can see from the picture, doing a virus scan, will then do the classic IT techs advice of trying a PC restart. Once that is done I will do attempt to follow the instructions on malwaretips.com

I'll reply if I have any breakthroughs

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I wouldn't try to run it when McAfee is busy scanning.

0 Kudos
lukesg
Level 7

Jump to solution

The scan failed first time round and a cold boot was required then a system clean up, once all that had happened and the PC settled down I ran AdwCleaner, which then removed 1 browser file, 19 registry files, 8 files/folders and 1 service file. My Intel Haswell CPU has gone down from 100% usage to little over 4% usage when idle. Another scan is in order

--Just a quick question regarding the quarantine, can the files in that folder be deleted or is it best to leave be, I've become a bit obsessed with keeping this computer as free as possible.

0 Kudos
nolte
Level 8

Jump to solution

I ran all those cleaners, and I still got those Whilokii pop ups. Almost by accident I ran into the Whilokii website and followed through on their suggestion that it might be in my browser.

Sure enough, it had installed itself as an add-on in Firefox.    Now I got rid of it.  Finally.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Glad you are OK now.

0 Kudos