cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
conatv88
Level 7

How can I remove Trojan JS/Downloader-CJB

Jump to solution

A couple weeks back, I ran a full scan and the McAfee Security Suite found a trojan  'Generic.dx!tyn'. I pick the option to have it quarantined. Soon after this, the scans would find more trojans whose names started with 'Artemis!' but with the alphanumeric different with every scan. Every time found, the trojans were quarantined. In safe mode I ran the 'Stinger' progams mentioned in some of the discussions, but the scans did not find any trojans. Earlier this week I ran the McAfee scan in safe mode and 'WINHOST' was found and removed. The last couple days the scans I ran did not find any more trojans until today. I now have a trojan 'JS/Downloader-CJB'. Its quarantined now. Can someone please help me in removing whatever it is that causes this to happen.

Thank you.

Message was edited by: conatv88 on 10/22/10 6:04:52 PM CDT
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: How can I remove Trojan JS/Downloader-CJB

Jump to solution

Majorgeeks or CNet or whatever server is picked, I get a different one each time.  Yes that's fine.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

If it's quarantined then it is out of harm's way.

Assuming you have the latest version double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation (top right)

Click Quarantined and Trusted Items (below)

Click the 3 'drawers' to open them and you can then highlight whichever item and choose options below.

Meanwhile make sure that Windows is totally up to date with ctitical and non-critical updates especially those for your Internet Explorer.

Also ensure that you have the latest Flash and Shockwave players from Adobe.com, and the latest Java engine from java.com.  Uninstall any old ones you may see in the Control Panel Programs list.

You may also want to take a look at this:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/10/10 12:28:25 EDT PM
0 Kudos
ohno
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi

I have exactly the same Trojan - JS Downloader CJB discovered today whilst scanning with McAfee.  Same here, the trojan is quarantined but I don't have the options to remove it......and neither those Peter mentioned.   I am aware this makes my PC safe but would ideally like to remove it from my PC altogether. 

Am  I stuck with quarantined Trojan?

Thanks!

Message was edited by: ohno on 10/23/10 2:35:11 PM CDT

Message was edited by: ohno on 10/23/10 2:35:37 PM CDT
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Is your taskbar icon shield-shaped or square?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Sorry, I could have added the following instructions for the 2009 version.

If it's the older version which has a square icon then do the following after double-clicking it to open SecurityCenter

# bottom left side click on "Advanced Menu"
# click on the "Restore" button
# Quarantined Programs, Files, Cookies are located here

0 Kudos
ohno
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Peter

Thanks for your quick reply.  I have followed your advice and the infected file is in the following:

appdata\locallow\sun\java\deployment\cache\6.0\61\351a00fd - 6d28da2

Now, I don't know if I should repair and restore to original location or delete completely, as I don't understand the relevance of this file??  What do you think?

Thanks

O

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I would delete it and I have a question, where did you download Java from?  Wherever it was I would uninstall what version you have in the normal way, Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (XP) Programs/Uninstall a Program (Vista,Win7), and install a fresh copy directly from

http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

You might also want to run an updated version of Malwarebytes Free to make sure no other strange malware is present.

0 Kudos
ohno
Level 7

Jump to solution

Java came preloaded with laptop.  I have Java (TM) 6 update 21.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Well if it's there and operating without any further trouble I would ignore the uninstall/reinstall then.

That's the latest version and it will update automatfically assuming updates are turned on.

0 Kudos
ohno
Level 7

Jump to solution

I've done it now.... uninstalled and installed Java (TM) 6 Update 22.....updates are auto. Hope I don't get any probs.  You mentioned downloading Malwarebytes and so this will not interfere with McAfee Anti-virus?

Thanks for your help.  Much appreciated.

O

0 Kudos