cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How Do I Report a Suspicious Web Site (Phishing) Claiming to be 'McAfee Secure'?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I recently found a Windows Internet shortcut on my PC (possibly pre-installed) that opened a phony T-Mobile customer survey (I have T-Mobile wireless broadband service) that then--through a convoluted series of redirects--directed me to a couple of commercial web sites to claim my "reward", complete with address and credit card (to "cover shipping" *wink* ) forms.

I duly reported this to all involved--including the domain registrars' abuse contacts--in the entire (long) chain of URLS this one shortcut triggered. I haven't heard back on the status except for one domain registrar that insists the live link I gave them didn't resolve to phishing content.

Sorry, not buying that, because one of the root domains in the chain

https://www.mcafee.com/threat-intelligence/site/default.aspx?url=answeriqu.com

was reported as blacklisted by McAfee SiteAdvisor.

The "root" URL (the simple "<name>.com" part of the URL) of the order form points to an "Under Construction" message page. The order form page has a several security logos, including a McAfee SECURE logo (see attached).

I would like to know if this site really is McAfee Secure and whether known phishing sites use legitimate McAfee security.

I couldn't see how to report this to McAfee, since this isn't a suspicious file in the strictest sense.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: How Do I Report a Suspicious Web Site (Phishing) Claiming to be 'McAfee Secure'?

Jump to solution

OK this is what I found

There are 2 confusions within this thread:

1) a misunderstanding of the protection technologies in use.

- McAfee WebAdvisor warns customers they are about to enter a bad site, 'bad' being defined as containing malicious downloads, spamminess, etc.

- McAfee Secure monitors websites to be sure that doing business on that webpage is safe. This means that any forms that will contain PII info (name, credit card, phone etc.) are delivered via encrypted channels, and that the webservers have all security patches applied, etc.

- It does NOT monitor content as WebAdvisor does.

- It also doesn't monitor the purpose i.e. phishing of the site - if the webserver and the connection to it are secure, that's all it cares about.

- Having said that, McAfee Secure is supposed to do a check on companies purchasing their monitoring service to be sure they are legit.

- If there is a problem, the customer should contact www.mcafeesecure.com

2) the very-understandable belief that "McAfee Secure" is owned by McAfee.

- McAfee originally bought the HackerSafe company, renamed it to "McAfee Secure", but ultimately re-sold it - complete with the name - to the people who owned and ran HackerSafe.

- They still run it under www.mcafeesecure.com

- In other words this company is NOT McAfee.

So the technologiesa are not the same, and the companies are not the same. It's hardly surprising that you'll occassionally see a discrepancy in their respective ratings of websites.

So best to contact that company with your worries

3 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: How Do I Report a Suspicious Web Site (Phishing) Claiming to be 'McAfee Secure'?

Jump to solution

Passed this up the line thanks

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

OK this is what I found

There are 2 confusions within this thread:

1) a misunderstanding of the protection technologies in use.

- McAfee WebAdvisor warns customers they are about to enter a bad site, 'bad' being defined as containing malicious downloads, spamminess, etc.

- McAfee Secure monitors websites to be sure that doing business on that webpage is safe. This means that any forms that will contain PII info (name, credit card, phone etc.) are delivered via encrypted channels, and that the webservers have all security patches applied, etc.

- It does NOT monitor content as WebAdvisor does.

- It also doesn't monitor the purpose i.e. phishing of the site - if the webserver and the connection to it are secure, that's all it cares about.

- Having said that, McAfee Secure is supposed to do a check on companies purchasing their monitoring service to be sure they are legit.

- If there is a problem, the customer should contact www.mcafeesecure.com

2) the very-understandable belief that "McAfee Secure" is owned by McAfee.

- McAfee originally bought the HackerSafe company, renamed it to "McAfee Secure", but ultimately re-sold it - complete with the name - to the people who owned and ran HackerSafe.

- They still run it under www.mcafeesecure.com

- In other words this company is NOT McAfee.

So the technologiesa are not the same, and the companies are not the same. It's hardly surprising that you'll occassionally see a discrepancy in their respective ratings of websites.

So best to contact that company with your worries

Jump to solution

Thanks for the clarification. Almost didn't want to pursue this, but after quite a bit of time unraveling the chains of links initiated by the first URL I was speechless when that one domain registrar came back with a clean bill of health.

Hope you understand my skepticism: the initial URL was labeled "Lenovo Telephony Start Now" (I have a Lenovo laptop) that didn't click to any telephony functions except a T-Mobile customer survey (but was using T-Mobile Internet at the time) and then dumps me into a page advertising three products, but when you click through all three choices only two actual products are linked. Screams "Bogus!".

Getting my first answers from the McAfee Secure site lookup: the only McAfee Secure listed site offering the Garcinia Cambogia supplement in the suspect ad is not the suspect site and I also tried the base URL for the ad page with no results.

Forwarding all this to McAfee Secure. Thanks again.

0 Kudos