cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, Here is my question.

Jump to solution

Hi, I've just joined to ask a question: I've just been running a scan for Windows Defender, it is supposed to happen every three days. But I'm covered by a McAfee Anti Virus program so, is this other one in order? That is my question. It is a Microsoft program and it always starts out with an orange warning colour and after the scan, it has turned to green and they tell me that everything is running OK. It is a very short scan compared to the McAfee one but is it a duplication that should not be, or is it actually part of the McAfee service? They have never said anything about it.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Hi, Here is my question.

Jump to solution

Windows Defender is OK to have except in Windows 8.  In that system it has morphed into an antivirus and is disabled automatically when McAfee or any other antivirus is installed and should remain that way.

When installing McAfee in XP (if WD is installed), Vista and 7, WD is disabled automatically, but can be reactivated safely.

1 Reply
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Hi, Here is my question.

Jump to solution

Windows Defender is OK to have except in Windows 8.  In that system it has morphed into an antivirus and is disabled automatically when McAfee or any other antivirus is installed and should remain that way.

When installing McAfee in XP (if WD is installed), Vista and 7, WD is disabled automatically, but can be reactivated safely.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community