cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flipster
Level 7

Help with virus spy-agent.bw.gen!mem

I had the virus spy-agent.bw.gen!mem I found a thread on it and DL malwarebytes to remove it. It looked like it did. Then I started getting pop ups again and now my computer is even worse. I can't even open Mcafee or malwarebytes. It asks what program I want to use to open it. I also tried to uninstall the malwarebytes so I could reinstall it and I can't access the Set programs part of my start menu. I'm not sure if it got deleted when I removed the malware? HELP please! I am on Windows XP

0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Help with virus spy-agent.bw.gen!mem

Moved to Malware Removal > Home User Assistance for better attention.

Try booting into "Safe Mode with Networking" (Safe Mode with the Internet) by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up.

Once there call up Malwarebytes and update it, then run it and let it remove anything it finds.  It runs fine in this mode as does VirusScan.

The only difference with VirusScan is that it wont update in Safe Mode but you can run it by right-clicking the taskbar icon and selecting "Run a Scan".

Hovering over the taskbar icon will give a progress report.

So try running both in that order and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
Flipster
Level 7

I can't run any programs right now..nothing with an exe extension....this will still work in safe mode if I try this?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

It should be OK because in that mode most applications can't run anyway.  Malwarebytes is an exception.

Make sure you pick Safe Mode with Networking from the list when it's presented rather than just Safe Mode as that will allow you to update Malwarebytes before running it and that is important..

0 Kudos
Flipster
Level 7

No, it's asking me what program do I want to use to open it..I try explorer and it won't work. What program do I need to try and open it?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

You have to find mbam.exe in your Program Files (Program Files (x86) if you have a 64-bit system) and double-click it and run it from there in Safe Mode with Networking..

Sorry I have to go offline now  but hopefully someone else wiil assist you.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/07/10 9:58:45 EDT PM
0 Kudos
Flipster
Level 7

I'm still not sure how to get access to my programs.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Try posting on the Malwarebytes forum and tell them that you can't run their software, maybe they will have some ideas.

0 Kudos