cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crazymamma
Level 7

Help with Virus/Trojan Vista Security 2011

Hi all I am new to this and I need help to sort a problem on my Dell inspiron desktop pc. I am not very techy when it comes to computers....

I have manged to pick up a fake antivrus virus thing which is reporting numerous 'infections' and to click here to remove... It is not very clever in its terminolgy so I have not clcked it..

What it has done is disabled Mcafee and windows defender and locked off all control panel functions. I am unable to connect to the internet but my File and folders appear to be intact.

I have managed to open the pc in safe mode and ran a full system scan on mcafee and the microsoft malicious software removal tool.. mcafee found nothing came back clean and the microsoft tool found Trojan-BNK win 32 Fakerean.... It said in removed it but the problem still exists.

When the pc is open in normal mode I also have system tool notifications flashing up everwhere urging me to click the Vista security 2011....

Help..... Why did Mcafee not find it...

I am on my works PC now and not a home as I cannot get an internet connection to contact you or to download any files as solution...

Thanks

karen

0 Kudos
20 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Help with Virus/Trojan Vista Security 2011

Karen, Unfortunately antivirus applications have a hard time detecting these fake anti-malware pests.

Hint: booting into Safe Mode with Networking usually gives you a working machine with the Internet access.

There's an excellent removal guide here but scroll down the page as the first links you see are advertising:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antispyware-2011

Or, try initiating System Restore in that mode to go back to before it all started.  Don't forget to update everything afterwards and to temporarily disable System Restore to get rid of the bad restore point.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/02/11 11:46:55 EST AM
0 Kudos
crazymamma
Level 7

Help with Virus/Trojan Vista Security 2011

Thank you for the tip I will try this shortly and let you know if it works

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

OK, good luck.

0 Kudos
crazymamma
Level 7

I opened in safe mode with networking and internet explorer loaded to my home page however when I try to go to bleeping computer or indeed mcafee (im guessing any security site?) the virus thing blocks it... I am now on my childrens very old very slow (but working) pc but I don't know what to try next... 

Any suggestions most welcome.....

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Did you try to invoke System Restore to before this happened?  In that mode go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore and see if it can be initiated.  If so all this can be avoided.

Afterwards simply temporarily disable System restore to destroy the infected restore point and then update your System and McAfee of course, if necessary.

0 Kudos
crazymamma
Level 7

I have managed to gain full access to my pc by logging under guest... I am just about to try your intial instructions with the rkill etc etc..

Many Thanks for your help

Karen

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Good Luck!!

;-)

0 Kudos
crazymamma
Level 7

after an unexpected trip to A&E with my daughter last night I have only now tried to load rkill... Mcafee if identifying it as a trojan and removing it.. I tried several of the renamed versions and mcafee removed them too?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Try it in Safe Mode with Networking reached by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and it's 2nd on the ensuing menu.

Try save as to your desktop renaming in the process.

0 Kudos