cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help? with TDSS.d!mem (Trojan)

I am new to this site and a Grandma who only uses her computer for own use.  So names of virus like a foreign language.  I have always used McAfee now for must be over 10 years.  I have had Total Protection installed since its renewal date in Dec 2010.

My nightmare started on yesterday when I logged on to my computer and bang the screen changed into a amateur looking warning with a box wizzing away with virus warnings asking me to join.  My problem is I am reluctant to pay £60 to McAfee so today -

1. I set up my old tower, upgraded my McAfee (3 user) to protect that machine and got onto Chat support.

2. Finally got some sense and I was told to try tapping F8 and entering Safe Mode with Networking to contact live chat on affected machine.

3. Got into Safe Mode and thought I would try a System Restore first and chose 1st Feb. 

4. Computer started up OK and then I knew I had to download updates from McAfee - this would not work.  (By the way I use my computer everyday so have no fear that updates do not get a chance to -update).

5, Got onto Chat with tech support - not really helpful and only wanted to direct me to £60 help.

6. I decided t download my McAfee again amd this time it worked and I ran a full scan.

7. I have just got the report and it found I think 12 tracking cookies that it deleted but 1 issue that it could not solve.

8. Below is what is written on report -

SUSP_IRP_MJ_CREATE

Full Path:

SUSP_IRP_MJ_CREATE

Threats Detected:

TDSS.d!mem(Trojan)

So now my computer takes ages to shut down and in fact it just hung on logging off and I had to turn it off manually.

So plugged old tower in and now typing up on this in the hope someone can tell me if I can avoid the £60 or would it be best to go ahead.  Really annoys me when I have Total??? Protection.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Gilly

5 Replies
ConorD62
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Help? with TDSS.d!mem (Trojan)

Hi Grandmagilly,

Download http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.zip and save it to your Desktop.

Extract its contents to your desktop.

Once extracted, open the TDSSKiller folder and doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.

If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.

If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, choose it.

It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now

Click the Report button and copy/paste the contents of it into your next reply.

Note:It will also create a log in the C:\ directory.

Please post it here.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: ConorD62 on 28/02/11 16:03:06 CST

Help? with TDSS.d!mem (Trojan)

Thankyou!   I have copied your suggestion and printed it out.  It seems complicated but maybe because I am tired as this has taken up all day!  Do you think I will be able to carry out uour instructions OK?

Gilly

ConorD62
Level 12
Message 4 of 6

Hi,

As long as you follow the instructions,

And stay focused, and have a quick coffee before that.

You should be fine.

Thanks.

newjack
Level 12
Message 5 of 6

This may also fix your problem.Free download http://www.surfright.nl/en/home/ 

Good luck

anandd
Level 9
Message 6 of 6

hi,

Has the issue been resolved. if yes, that's good.

If no, please start a new thread.  You may also want to submit the scan log.

regards,

anand

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community