cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
francisco93
Level 7

Help with !Artemis virus

Last night while looking for an wallpaper I stumbled upon a website from Google Images and downloaded a random wallpaper that turned out to be infected with the !Artemis virus. The virus has now made the computer slower and keeps opening pop up windows and disabled the install and remove program function on windows xp. McAfee can't seem to remove, so could you guys give me some tips on what to do to get rid of the virus?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
k3tg
Level 14

Re: Help with !Artemis virus

There is some information posted in the security awareness community to get you started with ridding your computer of the virus. You may also want to try these free programs www.malwarebytes.org and www.superantispyware.com

0 Kudos
francisco93
Level 7

i tried doing that but the virus is not letting me install any programs

0 Kudos
k3tg
Level 14

Try this online virus scans http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Message was edited by: k3tg on 8/6/10 7:26:58 PM EDT
0 Kudos
Rainey
Level 7

I also have Artemis virus located at C:\windows\system32\vecrits93.dll and McAfee can not remove.  How do I remove this file?  Is it okay to located and delete?

0 Kudos
k3tg
Level 14

This link will also assist you with your issue

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

If you are sure it is infected send it the way suggested here to mcafee labs and they will add it to their dat files and send you an extra dat file to clean it.

Ok 1st reply is automatic and may say no virus so relpy asking for a manual check.

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Hi Rainey,

C:\windows\system32\vecrits93; It seems the virus has found its way deep into your files in system 32 and its not recommended to remove the files mnully from there as it has all important files of your Operating system, I would recommend you to contact our virus removal experts as they clean the virus remotely so as you could wach them do it.http://service.mcafee.com/SpecializedServiceHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=VR&pt=1

Also, they will be sure on how to deal with different variants of viruses as they know better.

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Moved to Artemis Discussions.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

If the link in post #5 fails to help then try the free version of THIS TOOL as was previously suggested much earlier in this thread. Update it before running and let it remove anything it finds and reboot when asked to.

Hopefully someone from WebImmune will spot this thread, although there's no guarantee of that.

When posting about Artemis infections please always post the full details including the special detection number given to the infection.   The Webimmune people can then look it up.

Also see THIS THREAD regarding actions one can take with Artemis detections.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/08/10 8:45:58 EDT AM
0 Kudos