cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Help me computer is being Hijacked, McAfee doesn't appear to being working, something

I have the entire McAfee security suite on Windows XP professional. I believe my computer has been hijacked. It works just fine at boot up and until I connect to the internet. I use broadband connection USB.

Once I connect to the internet, McAfee uses up almost 80% of CPU power and the hardrive light is constantly blinking. It's so bad now, I have to just pull the plug because the computer won't even shut down.

The computer runs just fine as long as I stay off the internet, so I don't know what the problem is computer shops keep telling me they think mcAfee has serious security glitches and a virus has probably got in.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Labels (2)
14 Replies

If I had that problem....

then I would see no other alternative, other than to re-install Windows XP Pro, as I just did about a week ago, when my own system became very unstable after installing several new apps. It gets to a point when there is that level of instability where re-installation is the only option. If you do it to a new partiton then you won't lose any data.

I did create a new partition and left the other Windows XP Pro versions (2) on my system, in case I need to access drivers etc for Windows setup from those volumes.

Hope this helps

AntiVirMan
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 15

RE: Help me computer is being Hijacked, McAfee doesn't appear to being working, something

You can probably still get a good internet connection by booting to "Safe Mode With Networking" - tap F8 repeatedly while booting up and select that option from the subsequent menu.

Download, update and run the free version of this tool and let it clean everything it finds. You may be asked to reboot to let it complete its task, do so immediately.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Thank you guys this really helps

grin peter I will try to install the cleaner tool you recommended and see if this works. And yes, anti virus man, if that doesn't work I will have to look at the possibility of backing up all my files and doing a complete system re - install. However Peter, When a system in my office is infected I usually don't connect it to the internet directly to prevent further hacking, but save the file on a internet connected computer that isn't infected, I then transfer the file to the infected computer via portable storage device ( a USB flash drive for example). On the infected computer, this usually works the same as if I downloaded the file from the internet.

Thank you again to all.
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 15

RE: Thank you guys this really helps

Good luck!

Thank you again Peter

:)I used the malwarebytes Anti Malware, it found two Malware files on my PC. First I thought McAfee had become corrupted and I was going to have to uninstall and re install it. I'm sure glad Malbytes found the infection and removed it.
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 15

RE: Thank you again Peter

Dare I ask if you are OK now?:D

If your having trouble like I did follow Peter's advice

The following websites provide free tools that can detect and remove adware, malware and spyware that McAfee might have missed.

Remember these are not a full security suite like McAfee, they are only meet for the purpose of detecting and removing non viral infections from your computer.

I strongly recommend that if you have had problems with infection, use these tools.

http://www.superantispyware.com

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 15

RE: If your having trouble like I did follow Peter's advice

Yes we recommend those tools all the time, but are you OK?

I think the computer is just fine now

I was shocked though! I ran scans with both programs you recommended. Malware bytes found 2 malware, and Super Anti Spyware found 32 spyware files on my computer!

No wonder the computer was a mess! The spyware was literally spawning itself on my hard drive.

I think the reason McAfee wasn't protecting it from these threats is, the computer was given to me by a colleague as a gift with a lot of the programs I use already installed on it. Obviously there was some infection on the system when I got but it wasn't an obvious problem yet. Since I installed McAfee on the computer after I got it, the security center was unable to protect me from these threats. Being they were already in the system.

It took a tool like those you recommended to finally uproot the infection from the system once and for all.

The system is still a little slow, but I think a small tune up will get it back up to speed again.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community