cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matt020381
Level 8

Help! McAfee is blocking its own updates

Jump to solution

McAfee has found the Zero Access trojan (3 instances) on my computer. When I try to download McAfee's Stinger or Microsoft's virus removal tool, McAfee states the files are infected with a virus and deletes them! How can I get past this and get the viruses removed?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
matt020381
Level 8

Re: Help! McAfee is blocking its own updates

Jump to solution

Everything seems to be fine now. Apparently the trojans attached to Internet Explorer. Once the chat tech installed Google Chrome, I was able to upload and run both the McAfee Stinger and the Microsoft Security Essentials which detected and eradicated the files free of charge. Real Time scanning and Firewall are both back up and I am surfing free of worry.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Try rebooting to Safe Mode and then initiate System Restore to go back to before this all started.

0 Kudos
matt020381
Level 8

Jump to solution

I'm in safe mode and Windows 7 says there is no restore file available. I'm trying to download Stinger to help remove Zero Access, but McAfee deletes the file, saying it has a virus.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Was it the regular McAfee softwasre that detected ZeroAccess?   If so can you run it in Safe Mode?  Maybe it will delete the infection in that mode?  To get it to run in Safe Mode right-click the taskbar icon and select 'Scan'.

0 Kudos
matt020381
Level 8

Jump to solution

I'm running Mcafee Security Center 11.6. Now my firewall keeps turning off and won't stay on. I tried scanning in safe mode. It detected but did not clean. What's to frustrating is that McAfee won't allow me to download stinger or the microsoft product either.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Are you downloading it from the source or a 3rd party?  Try the links in the last link in my signature below.

Which one are you trying to download, the regular or x64 one? 

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Here are both the 32-bit and 64-bit Stingers renamed to hopefully get around the block.

You'll have to unzip the file of course.

Edit:  Zip files removed as they are now stale-dated.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/09/13 4:53:02 EDT AM
0 Kudos
matt020381
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for trying, but the .zip file got deleted by McAfee as having a virus. Interesting when I ran the full scan in Safe Mode only, it did not detect the virus. But, as soon as I opened Safe Mode with Networking and connected to the internet, McAfee detected. Unfortunately now both my firewall and real time scanning are off and won't come back on.

I've been trying to download stinger from mcafee.com, and the microsoft tools from microsoft.com.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

If you are in Safe Mode with Networking, which means McAfee is dormant and you should have an unfettered web access, that shouldn't be happening.

I think you need an expert here.  If it's a portable machine I would take it into a repair shop if not then there is always McAfee Professional Virus Removal Service, but it's expensive.

http://home.mcafee.com/root/stdlandingpage.aspx?LPName=vrs_v2&affid=0&culture=en-us&mm_campaign=9056...

0 Kudos
matt020381
Level 8

Jump to solution

I chatted online with a McAfee technician who installed Google Chrome. I was able to download Stinger, which is now scanning. However, firewall and real time scan are still off. He recommended the $89.95 virus removal service, which will be my last resort. It's a laptop, so I could take to a service center, but probably worth the fee to fix ASAP if the online McAfee and Microsoft tools don't help. Thank you so much for your input and help.

0 Kudos