cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! I think I have the Win64/alureon.gen!B virus

Jump to solution

I think I may be infected with this virus. My computer has been doing weird things for a long time. I have the McAfee total protection that is up to date. Whenever I try to use my computer I get a pop up box that says windows malicious software removal tool wants to make changes to your computer. A few times I have gotten a message that says only part of the malware could be removed. If I try to use mcafee it looks like it is scanning my computer but I have read this virus can do a fake scan. I have noticed the real time mcafee scanner cuts off as soon as I cut it on. Also, I have tried to download and run a program to fix this but my computer will not open an executable file. I get an error that says "the remote procedure call failed". I have been in my commuter and the remote procedures are set correctly. I have seen a pop up windows/system32/MRT.exe the remote procedure call failed.

Please help. I have done all I know to do. Does Mcafee remove viruses if you subscribe to their software or do they charge you to remove it? Sorry for all the questions. I am really frustrated! Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help! I think I have the Win64/alureon.gen!B virus

Jump to solution

WWoohoo !!! Success finally! Keeping my fingers crossed but I restarted the system recovery and it completed in only 10 minutes. I don't know what hung it up before for 17 hours.

I Have checked for windows updates. There are 125 that are currently downloading. Once that has finished I will update internet explorer and install McAfee.

THank you you everyone that helped me out through this frustrating time. I couldn't have done it without you all!

0 Kudos
98 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Sometimes it is necessary to boot in Safemode With Networking in order to bypass the start-up of malicious programs. I would try to run the Latest McAfee Stinger,McAffe Rootkit Remover, and McAfee Getsusp Tool, when running the (Getsusp Tool) Please remember to enter your Email Address under "Preferences" before scanning.

I might add, as a second opinion. I would also run Malwarebytes (Free) Version only.

These superb Tools can be found in the following link

Note; Please read the (How to use) in Stinger/Rootkit Remover. It is best to right click and run as Administrator.

All the very best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am trying these suggestions now. Crossing my fingers this works! Thank you for the suggestions and the quick response. I will let you know if this works.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

You are perfectly welcome.

Please apprise us of your outcome.

You also mentioned you downloaded another (Program) yet it would not open? May I ask you what this program was?

Also please make certain you are current with all Windows updates,to include Internet Explorer,even if you do not use it. McAfee and other programs does to function properly To include all Add ons/Extensions/Plug-ins. Especially Adobe Flash Player (14.0.0.145.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance as a better spot.

Peter

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Thanks Ex_brit...

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I Am new to this site. How do I find my discussion?

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Simply go to Security Awareness/Malware Discussion. I have to step out for a bit, will be back shortly.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I found you. I am running a full scan with windows malicious software removal tool. I'll let you know what it finds.

Just let me know when your back. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

The Windows MRT should be able to remove it as that was an early detection covered by it.

Peter

0 Kudos