Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Hello. Need some help

Hello and nice forum..

The lap top is a Dell Inspiron 15R  running windows 8.1

I have a problem. My son the other day did some downloading of some games onto an sd card to put on a game system.

Today I turn on the laptop (that I use) for my work and while browsing sites I get slammed with side popups, middle of the screen popups. I also get those windows that pop up asking to download the latest version of xyz.....

This is happening on google chrome. So I switch over to explorer and the same thing started happening. I have reset the browser to its default settings on chrome but that has not stopped it.

It makes browsing anything a painful experience.

I really need to get this fixed. I looked into the control panel and I don't see any strange looking programs. There was one on there from Dell that I do not remember downloading dated within a week ago....I uninstalled that...

there is something on the desktop but I can't find it in the control panel to delete it. This desktop icon I speak of says RegClean M under the icon.

This computer has Mcafee installed on it and I have scanned several times. Nothing shows up. When I go back to trying to browse here come the side ads and popups again.

Any and all help will be beyond appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 21

Re: Hello. Need some help

It sounds like you've been hit by some ad-ware or at least acquired some unwanted add-ons to your browser(s).

Follow the last link in my signature below for some advice.  I recommend running AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Free.  To keep it free do NOT accept the free trial offer nor activate it, if asked.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

0 Kudos
Level 20

Re: Hello. Need some help

It sounds as though you possibly inadvertently picked up some (PUPS) Potentially Unwanted Programs. I recommend to first run McAfee Getsusp to add these detections to the McAfee GTI Data Base. Please remember to add your Email Address under "Preferences" before scanning.

Then I would follow up with Malwarebytes (Free) and AdwCleaner. To keep Malwarebytes (Free) DO NOT accept any Free Trial Offers or enable/and don,t Activate the Pro/Paid Version. You can find these Superb (Free) Tools Here:

You may find these two Articles most informative, as to how these arrived on your system:

All the Best

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos