cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Have you seen this malware?

Within the past week my Windows XP notebook was infected with malware, my first experience. The malware produced a McAfee-like popup, with a McAfee green icon, warning of a Trojan Horse. The pop up box asked if I wanted to remove it. Yes was the wrong answer. That started a process that mimicked a Virus scan inside a window with a Windows-like shield. And I got a lot of boxes with the message that files were infected. So I restarted. The next symptom was the appearance of a balloon pop up on the bottom dock: Windows Security Alert! with a red square in the upper right corner. But the message inside was grammatically incorrect: "Windows detects that computer is infected. ... to fix you computer ..." Again clicking on the balloon started the bad process. I checked my control panels and it showed that my McAfee anti-virus was out of date. My mistakes were clicking on the fake pop up and balloon. I re-started again. I closed the pop ups and got my McAfee scan started right away. Right now I'm running the McAfee full scan, The quick scan found and quarantined 9 items. I don't know how my computer got infected. Maybe it was on a forwarded email about Haitian relief. I was lucky to stumble on a way to fix it, which I hope works. The scan is still running, which is why i have time to post this note using another computer. I would like to know if anyone else got infected this way. I hope I avoided paying $90 to have my computer cleaned. Bob

Labels (1)
4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Have you seen this malware?

Hi. The scan finished successfully. I just checked my log and the quarantined programs were FakeAlert SpyPro!mem (Trojan)

Highlighted

Yes this seems to be wide spread.  A few days ago my wifes computer got the fake alert.  She was smart enough to lock down the fire wall instead of clicking on anything.  I used control-alt delete to bring up the task manager and shut down the program that was running.  It was trying to down load something like Windows anti-spyware.  I deleted the temp files and the cache.  We ran the virus scan and found nothing.  Downloaded malwarebytes and ran that.  It found a file and we deleted it.  It seems to be we caught it before it could infect the system.  The next day it hit mine.  I used the same procedure and it seemed to have stopped it.

Highlighted

moving this to the security awareness community...

Sam

Highlighted

Hi. Just to clarify my original post. I started my McAfee Security Center as soon as my computer started up, and got the Quick Scan started. In my previous attempts I had noticed that this fake alert took about 15 - 20 seconds to pop up. I got the Quick Scan started before that, ignored the pop ups, and got the FakeAlert quarantined.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community