cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Have a Virus 'Total Protection" does not eliminate. What now?

Have a virus Total Protection does not eliminate. What now?

Greetings! Long time user of McAfee products. Have a brand new HP laptop computer running Windows 10. I am up to date on all McAfee, Windows, and HP updates. Have a virus that came in from my old computer somehow. I found it, and isolated it; have also taken ownership of the files like Ex-Brit taught me to do several years ago with another problem. I have them ring-fenced, but I don't know how to get rid of them.

The virus is: $SysReset\Scratch\csrss.exe. There are files in several different locations. I'm not even sure I have found them all, but for now at least, the colors are not changing, the time is not changing, and I am being allowed to do updates (they had shut down McAfee updates as well as Windows updates, also turning off a great number of services.

HP won't help me (without me paying a hefty fee) because the computer is not malfunctioning, the hardware is great, it's just contaminated. My ISP won't help me without paying $150. fee for virus removal. The joker that contaminated my old computer had the nerve to call me and demand $500. to remove the virus from my computer. Everybody wants money and I just spent $900. on the new computer, so that leaves me to try to fix it myself. I hope someone there has heard of this scam and knows how to get it out of a computer.

Thank you for listening to me. I hope someone who reads this has a suggestion. In the meantime, I can read and look at the news but I don't dare put in a Credit Card number to order anything as I am afraid they will use it against me. Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have to help me!

Your greatful client,

wildfire

McAfee Support Mobile App Available
With the new McAfee Support Mobile App you’ll be able to update, close, and view service requests on your mobile device. The app will also notify you when one of our technical support engineers update a service request. Download the Android version from Google Play and the iOS version from the Apple App Store today!