cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Have I contraced an entirely NEW virus?

I am very much a silver surfer but one who when they get in to a muddle, despite not being too PC savy, always tries to do the research and sort it out but I am drawing a complete blank at the moment and could really use some help.

I am using a fujitsu Siemens scaleo P
Windows XP
Pentium 4
IGB Ram
Desktop/workstation

I am fairly certain I picked up some kind of virus 48 hours ago - my system has begun to run very slowly and I have located an unknown file in the task manager, which is using a huge amount of the CPU when the file is running. I have searched for the file on the internet and it's not listed anywhere. I have tried to locate the file in "my files" to delete it but it's not anywhere I have managed to locate so far. I have manually disabled the file from running in the task manager, however it seems to be able to switch itself back on again after a period of time. My virus checker isn't detecting anything despite having run it now on three separate occasions

The file is called edvumlvumm.exe any information you might be able to give me about this would be very gratefully received.

I have read around the forum rules and hope I am posting in the right place

Thanks in advance grin
Labels (1)
4 Replies

RE: Have I contraced an entirely NEW virus?

Send the file to the lab,if known.
http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx
Or
https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp

What Mcafee products/versions are installed,right click M icon>scroll to each product>click on about>Dat/Engine/Build>or double -click M icon if new version>click on view details

Once you have sent a sample of that file to the lab,upload that file to this website and see if any other vendor is detecting it.

http://www.virustotal.com/

Locate the edvumlvumm.exe by using the Browse button,once located click on the Send File,save the report and post back the results.

Thanks for trying to help out there I really appreciate it

I have been off in the meantime and discovered a tool on a free trial that has helped me solve the problem

It was a stealth Virus sitting in the windows file that the virus checker couldn't see :mad: the tool I used was Security Task Manager and thankfully I have been able to remove it. I am not clear what it was actually doing, key logging maybe or searching for passwords but I am relieved to say I have managed to dump it and am now in the process of changing my passwords just in case

Really sorry to have bothered you all but very grateful all the same grin

Pity that you did that,can understand why.It could have been added to the database,also we could have know what type of infection it was and what type of payload it brings(if any).

You may still be infected,run an online scan Here .Save the report and post it here.

As the user has not replied since 27th November,this thread is closed.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community