cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP QuickPlay update fails because of McAfee

Hi,

I have a week old HP Pavillion laptop with a blu-ray DVD. I found it would not play a DVD I bought, and informed me an update was needed to QuickPlay, which I downloaded from Cyberlink. Every time I tried to load it McAfee warned me I had a trojan (Generic!Artemis), and removed/quarantined the file, which then caused the install to stop because a file was missing, and only completed when I selected to ignore the file. However, while appearing to have completed the upgrade, the blu-ray DVD still would not work (AVP2 did not work - while Blade Runner did anyway). This happened three times, because whenever I tried to play the disk, AVP2, the upgrade was recommended. I tried patching the firmware etc. until I had exhausted all other possibilities - but no different. I submitted the 3 'trojans' to McAfee, and all were reported as not showing up on the database of malicious software. So, I downloaded the upgrade, took the laptop off-line, disabled McAfee completely, and ran the update through without any difficulties. The DVD played fine after this.

I am not sure whether this is the correct place to discuss this, but I am sure I am not the only person who has had this problem, and feel it is something McAfee ought really to know about. The problem appears to be in McAfee, not the laptop nor the DVD software - because it is producing a false positive against an update component which is preventing the laptop from functioning properly.

Mish
8 Replies

I've got the same problem

I have the same problem - McAfee kills QuickPlay by quarantining a file and it won't play BDnull afterwards

Take it there's no solution to this yet? Nothing posted here rom McAfee anyway?

Chris

McAfee quarantines file necessary to play blu-ray 2 on HP laptop

Hi,

nope. All I have had from McAfee is that it doesn't appear to be a virus or a trojan, and their analysts will look at it and if necessary will feature something in future updates. Not sure what that means, really.

HP gave me all sorts of instructions about reinstalling the software in new weird and wonderful ways - which i did, and unsurprisingly they made no difference. Just wasted more of my time basically. They have sent me more instructions, about setting the McAfee firewall to exclude this program. Not sure how that will work - as it is not flagged up by the firewall, but by the virus checker. If I have a spare couple of hours I will go through the motions, so I can tell them it didn't work.

The feeling I get is that they don't really understand the problem, because they don't have the technical ability to solve the problem. Next step I guess is for them to understand the problem, then McAfee can say it is HP's problem because of the script Cyberlink have in the software they provide on behalf of HP - and HP will say the problem is McAfee detecting their script as a trojan, when their software cannot possibly have a virus. Thing I find odd is that every time I try to download it, it takes at least 30 minutes, when it is only 150 MB, and I have tested my connection to the laptop at 9.7 GB/s. Something is not right there - and my money is on it being at the Cyberlink site. Unfortunately, because the software is supplied as an HP update, there is no support route to Cyberlink.

Since Vista I try to use linux as much as possible, and this is my partner's laptop - it makes me see why people are leaving Vista in droves and going back to XP or switching to ubuntu. Of three PC's with Vista, all have problems, whereas the five I have with Debian and Ubuntu work like a charm - just that they can be a pain to configure all the functionality that doesn't work properly in Vista...

The only way round it I have found works is to download the file locally, take the computer off-line, switch off McAfee, install the update, play the DVD, then switch on McAfee and put it back on line. Next time McAfee does a virus scan it will quarantine one file necessary to play blu-ray 2 disks. So, next time you want to play such a DVD, take the PC off-line, switch off the McAfee components that deal with viruses, play the DVD, go to the 'restore files', and restore the file from quarantine and then HP QuickPlay will work again - until the McAfee is back on and runs another scan.

A pain in the bum - but fortunately I have watched the two blu-ray DVD's I have now, and I don't expect to be buying any more in the next six months at least.

Mish

RE: McAfee quarantines file necessary to play blu-ray 2 on HP laptop

Cheers Mish,

All sounds very familiar.

I've done the add HP QuickPlay to the firewall "allowed" list - as you can imagine made no difference.

Had the same download speed issue too, although you're obviously closer to your exchange, took my connection about an hour to download it - shan't be trying that again any time soon!

Will have a crack at the work around and keep my fingers crossed for the vain hope it gets fixed once and for all

Chris
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 9

RE: HP QuickPlay update fails because of McAfee

Moved to Virus Discussions....

There is a sticky at the top of this section dealing with Generic!Artemis detections and how to deal with them.

http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=227790

Thanks Peter / Ex-Brit,

One question on the disabling "active protection" option - surely this effectviely freezes the definitions of virus that McAfee will check for - how does this impact on protecting against new malware / new variants of old code?

Haven't checked if this actually fixes my problem yet I have to admit, just wanted clarification on this

Thanks,

Chris
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Well the disabling in that sticky only last for a few moments so the risks are minimal as long as you aren't surfing somewhere risky at the same time.

Just wanted to say thanks for the sticky, sorted my problem and I now enjoy Blu-ray movies on my laptop.

Sure it shouldn't have been as hard as it was to get a solution, but that wasn't all McAfee's fault.

Thanks again,

Chris
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Glad it helped.