cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ndhunz
Level 7

HELP! ZeroAccess causing havoc to my laptop, I can't access Internet anymore

I am typing this using my Mac. My laptop had an attack of the malicious trojan horse Zero Access.

I believe the infected file was desktop.ini

I have McAfee Total Protection that detected the trojan horse but could not remove it. Then the

firewall of my McAfee refuse to get turned on.

Later, after searching the net, I found some articles about using anti-spyware to delete the trojan

horse. So I downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware that found the trojan horse plus some bad cookies and

deleted them.

But the problem got worse after that as my laptop keeps getting Limited Access on my wifi connection

thus making it impossible to access the internet.

I later downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from another laptop and installed it on the infected

laptop and again, the trojan horse was detected and removed.

Yet, I'm still getting problems. My firewall cannot get turned on, and my internet access is disabled.

I surfed the McAfee and tried to figure out how to contact support but it keeps insisting I run the

McAfee Virtual Technician first before I can proceed. Problem is the version I have on the infected

laptop says it's not up-to-date and refuse to run. Plus the fact I have no internet access on the

infected laptop, I can't download the latest.

HELP! What can I do now?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: HELP! ZeroAccess causing havoc to my laptop, I can't access Internet anymore

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_562354.htm

Have you tried the solution there?

There are many solutions on the net but it is hard to clean up. I assume you cannot go to a restore point prior to the issue?

Also read

https://community.mcafee.com/message/220777#220777

0 Kudos
ndhunz
Level 7

Re: HELP! ZeroAccess causing havoc to my laptop, I can't access Internet anymore

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't tried a restore because it was almost a year ago. Will give it a try but how will I know whether

ZA is removed from the rootkit?

Should I try to do a restore first or try the steps from the links you suggested.

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Other links there are many around.

0 Kudos
redwood
Level 7

Hi, ndhunz/peacekeeper    Hope your problem is solved by now.  I got rid of zeroaccess which tried to get me to click a fake security site by pure luck.  McF found it but did not disable it - it actually took over and appeared to replace McF security.  I gained a few seconds to access TDSSKiller by going to add/remove programs and removing the fake security program - when it was just removed I could click TDSS.  it had prevented me from accessing anything else like Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, etc.  After the trojan was quarantined by TDSS I used the other programs and several others and I think I'm pretty clean. 

Here's the problem:   McAfee should now automatically repair itself.  It has not and will not- MVT  says it cannot.  Top issues include corrupted DAT files and one other.    I have got no acknowledgement or help.   Tech support wants to charge me $90 to fix their program.  SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INFO ON HOW TO FIX MCAFEE.  

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

go to that link and run the rootkit remover as well as Stinger

Then to fix mcafee reinstall it as is says  below remove via windows removal then Mcafee's tool

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

then reinstall maybe this will help.

0 Kudos

Hi there, I just wanted to share my experience with this frustrating rootkit.   My McAfee Security Suite alerted me to the presence of the Zeroaccess trojan, but was unable to clean it.  The McAfee and Norton removal tools didn't detect it, but I was able to successfully  remove it using Hitman Pro.  However on rescan by McAfee Security Suite, I still got a message informing me that the .../GAC_64/desktop.ini file was infected and could not be removed.  I was able to clear this by doing a system restore to a point prior to infection.  I just ran another scan, and it came out clean. Yay!

Be aware that I'm not an IT professional, I'm just an ordinary guy who happened to stumble across a solution that worked for me. I hope this helps.

-Rich

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Thanks restore a good choice though some malware disable that. You can also if restore fails try it in safe mode.

0 Kudos
vinod_r2
Level 11

@bamboozled!!! did you try running the stinger.mcafee.com and rootkitremover.mcafee.com on that machine?

0 Kudos

@vinrod. No I did not try stinger.  Just the McAfee and Norton tools. Neither one was able to detect it.. Hitman pro worked.for me.

0 Kudos