cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

HELP! Cannot successfully remove "Browse to Save" adware!

I recently purchased a new Dell laptop which came with McAfee Security Center preinstalled, as well as Windows 8 and Internet Explorer 10.  Unfortunately, I am unable to use my favorite anti-virus software because they have not released a version compatible with the new Windows 8, so I'm having to use the McAfee, which unfortunately I have had bad experiences with in the past (not detecting viruses and adware and malware).

Now I have that problem again.  Seems in the past three days I have picked up an adware thingy called "Browse to Save".  I went to that website and through their steps to remove it (which would be to go into tools>manage add-ons>.  However it is not listed there.  I also went into Control Panel>uninstall program>, but it is not listed there either.  Task Manager does not show it running either.  I posted on MIcrosoft's website about this and one of their consultants had me try installing software called AdwCleaner.  That program found the adware and I then chose the 'delete' option and it gave a report after restarting my computer saying it had removed the program in quite a few locations listed, some of which were my registry.  Here is a link to my Q&A on their forum:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/help-browse-to-save-....

However, within about fifteen minutes it was back.  And running that AdwCleaner program now comes back that there is no adware on my computer.  Yet this "Browse to Save" adware is constantly popping up on my browser (also tried using Google Chrome to see if it would not be there, but it is there, too), and my browser is extremely slow and my system is hanging when it shouldn't be.

Please help!  I'm so terribly disappointed to see these problems and it certainly doesn't do much to make me reconsider purchasing McAfee in the future.  I need to get this adware off!

Thank you.

-karen

2 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: HELP! Cannot successfully remove "Browse to Save" adware!

This is adware all right, but it's probably tied to something else - a toolbar, browser extension or add-on, or a downloaded program that brought it in. Fake codecs and torrent downloads are known to slip this onto a PC.

There's a good guide to removal by Sean Doyle at

http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-browse-to-save-adware

- but he too makes the point that you have to look for whatever introduced this and get rid of that as well.

McAfee doesn't concentrate much on adware, which is why we all recommend Malwarebytes (and a few other programs) for dealing with it.

See if Sean's advice helps you, and let us know if it works. I'll give him some feedback if it does.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 08/12/12 00:07:18 GMT

Re: HELP! Cannot successfully remove "Browse to Save" adware!

Just a quick update: I got a few PCs recently with Browse to save adware. It underlines certain keywords in text and. Putting mouse over those words will trigger ads to show up. See this: http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2013/04/remove-ads-by-browse-to-save-removal.html

The adware was listed as "Find Lyrics" and "Browser Protect", so if you look for Browse to save you probably won't find it. It's very important to remove "Browser Protect". Because if you leave it will reinstall the add-on (with a different name! other than Find Lyrics for example). Malwarebtes couldn't find "Find Lyrics". But another great tool called AdwCleaner detected and remove it easily. I highly recommend this utility.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community