cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ricochets
Level 7

HDD Rescue - help please!

Last night this 'HDD Rescue' popped up on my laptop. It keeps popping up saying I have no RAM space left, critical errors on C Drive and wants to run a system Defragmentation. I think eventually it will want me to purchase the whole package of HDD Rescue to fix it, but obviously this is a scam. I really am going nuts trying to get rid of this thing. I ran a full scan on McAfee which ignored it. I couldn't system restore to an earlier date to get rid of it. I ran Malware Bytes and it didn't find anything. I downloaded Stinger today and on the first run it didn't find anything. On the second sweep, following the instructions to uncheck boxes and change something else to 'Very High' it's found what I assume is 'HDD Rescue'. It keeps coming saying it's found variations of the Artemis!9A2010211EF1 Trojan and Virus. I've searched for that term under the list of known viruses but I can't find it. I'm assuming that's the 'HDD Rescue' icon on my desktop and toolbar.

Anywho, my question is, how do I get rid of it? I am in no way shape of form technical so any solutions/responses (which will be very well received) will need to be in the most basic of possible terms that someone like me can follow. I've attached the report from Stinger, I don't know if that helps?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: HDD Rescue - help please!

The definitive removal guide of this is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-hdd-rescue

Scroll down that page, don't click the first links you see as they are advertising which helps that forums finance itself.

0 Kudos
rvihokra
Level 7

you can easily get rid of it using manual removal. I follow this instruction  http://www.virusremovalguru.com/ . it works for me.

1. terminate active process

2.delete everything in temp folder

3. make sure your AV up to date

4. run full scan of AV

good luck

0 Kudos
Ricochets
Level 7

Hi Ex_Brit.

Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately it hasn't worked. I followed the link and did everything it asked me to, twice, and still HDD Rescue is on my computer. Last night it seemed to be gone, but I've used my laptop again this evening and it's actually still there. I followed the steps again, and for the second time, Malwarebytes deleted two things. I've restarted, and the pop ups aren't happening, but HDD Rescue is still on my Desktop and my list of programmes. I also can't seem to access internet explorer, it just shuts itself down every time I try to open it. Anything else you can suggest?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Run Hijackthis and post its log on the HJT section of their forum....with an explanation of what you've done already.

Download:

HIJACKTHIS

Post the logs...

MALWAREBYTES

Hopefully their experts will know what to do next.

0 Kudos
Ricochets
Level 7

Will do, thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
vinod_r2
Level 11

update us if you need further assistance

0 Kudos
SCtbe