cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got rid of 'Vista Security 2012' - now what?

Jump to solution

Hi All

I have been reading all the help which has been offered to find out what to do now but need to ask specifically.

My computer became infected with the Vista Security 2012, and in the end i took my PC to a local computer shop who do a virus removal service.

I have the PC back and all seems to be working OK but two things are troubling me:

1. Would it be best to do my own search on the PC to check no malware is still there? I do trust the shop but it would give me peace of mind. Malwarebytes seems to be the most recommended as a solution on here but when I followed the link, and i click 'download now', it takes me to the Majorgeeks site. Having just been infected, I'm now a bit terrified about downloading from an unknown source....

2. Is the Vista 2012 thing in any way a keylogger type thing? I daren't log into my bank or cards sites for instance. (another reason why i wanted to download something to check myself)

I am running McAfee antivirus but understand from here that it's best to have Anti-malware too - again is Malwarebytes the best for this?

I'd really appreciate some advice - thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Got rid of 'Vista Security 2012' - now what?

Jump to solution

Hi Ex Brit

Thank you so much for your help!

I have run Malware bytes (0 found) and also installed Spyware Blaster. Will pass your advice on before this thing gets my friends.

It's such a relief to have people around who help....

Message was edited by: inexpert-user on 25/06/11 00:39:16 CDT
0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

It's not a keylogger per se but rogue (or fake) anti-spyware and one of many disguises:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antispyware-2012

For your own peace of mind I would install something like Spywareblaster which sits in the background actively guarding your machine once activated.  It needs to be updated regularly of course and each time you do that those extra protections needs activating, an easy task in its interface.   Or one can pay and have it auto-update.

You could also keep Malwarebytes Free as another safeguard, but remember to update always before running it.

It's fairly common for software makers these days to employ outside sites for downloads and in these cases, that's OK, you needn't worry.

The links for the above are included in a document I posted HERE.

Other than that you must keep Windows always totally up to date and just be very careful where you surf and what you click on.

The Internet is like a really bad obstacle race these days.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Ex Brit

Thank you so much for your help!

I have run Malware bytes (0 found) and also installed Spyware Blaster. Will pass your advice on before this thing gets my friends.

It's such a relief to have people around who help....

Message was edited by: inexpert-user on 25/06/11 00:39:16 CDT
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

You're welcome.

So you are OK now?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yes thanks, all OK.

Will be more vigilant in future.

Thanks

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Great, all the best ;-)

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Well I thought all was OK...

Whilst surfing I have just had a McAfee message pop up to say ' Your Computer is at Risk' as though i've switched something off.

After the title it says

Please check your status so you can address any security issues to keep your PC protected. To stay protected, make sure Real-Time Scanning & Firewall are on and that your subscription is active and up to date.

I clicked on the McAfee shield and it showed everything on. I've run Malware bytes again on a quick scan and it shows nothing, but then the message from McAfee came up again, and i clicked on the shield and it's off. So now i've turned it on again.

Will the Malwarebytes or Spyware Blaster be turning off the McAfee?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Right-click the taskbar icon and select Update.  If that doesn't help, download and run the Virtual Technician and see if it fixes anything.

0 Kudos