cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Google searches redirected, but no Viruses detected by McAfee

My daughter has exactly the same problem. I was going to try combofix because at least that worked forJeffrey but it has been withdrawn.

What is the point of of Vinod saying DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE TOOL MENTIONED BY THE ORGINAL POSTER if he doesn't put forward a solution?

I guess my next bet is to try to see if other antivirus software works wher McAfee fails.

Highlighted

Cybercard wrote:

What is the point of of Vinod saying DO  NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE TOOL MENTIONED BY THE ORGINAL POSTER if  he doesn't put forward a solution?

I believe that Vinod was referring to the use of "Combofix", a very powerful tool which even its authors state should "only be used under direction".  While this tool can remove many problems, inadvertent usage may indeed be harmful.

As to the subject of this thread, it seems many different views as to the source have been expressed, and several different recommendations put forth.  I have seen this exact problem, and removed it on four (4) different PC's.  The root of this was a "DNS-hijacker" form of malware, similar to the "Fake-antivirus" rogue ("AntiVirus 2009/2010/Pro and other cleverly-named hoaxes).  The following worked for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ah3efRdWes&NR=1

This video (I did NOT produce it!) uses Malwarebytes "AntiMalware", SUPERAntiSpyware and another vendors anti-virus.  You may skip the part using the other anti-virus, concentrating on the first two tools.  These are, IMHO, the premier anti-malware tools available, and, most importantly, are FREE.

These techniques were used on two (2) McAfee PC's, as well as two (2) of other AV's.  I hope it works for you, and others on this thread.

Highlighted

Seanmc98's advice worked for me. THANK YOU!

McAfee hadn't even identified correctly the few files it found (but could not remove). Using the programs shown in that YouTube video, I was able to finally clean my computer of infections that have plagued it for the past week. I will invest my money in the future in programs that have proven their efficacy.

Message was edited by: Hairfish on 2/13/10 3:58:08 AM CST
Highlighted

Installed malwarebytes and superantispyware.  Found hundreds of threats but did not remove redirect virus.  On another site saw that someone had fixed this problem with hitmanpro3.  I tried this and it worked.

Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 35 of 45

Have had same problem for last week. Got rid of the XP Security virus (av.exe), but still experiencing the random Google search redirect. Scan with Hitman Pro 3.5 detected atapi.sys in C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\ file, and recommends delete. However posts here by others warn that atapi.sys is legit file.Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Highlighted

Hello,

atapi.sys is a windows core file, you can upload the atapi.sys to Virustotal to check if it is indeed been patched.

http://www.virustotal.com/

If Mcafee is not detecting atapi.sys as being infected, you can also send it to the lab.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx

If the atapi.sys is infected you`ll need to find a clean copy of that file, the DllCache(C:\windows\system32\dllcache)folder should have a backup copy, scan that file at Virustotal, if it comes back clean you can delete the atapi.sys in the drivers folder. If Windows does not replace the atapi.sys in the drivers folders automatically, then you need to copy/paste the one in the dllcache to the driver folder. Once that is done, scan the new copy of atapi.sys which you have copy and pasted  from Dllcache folder at Virustotal to make that it is indeed clean.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 37 of 45

Thanks for the advice on atapi.sys file. Found the backup file in cache, and all seems to be working OK now.

Highlighted

Glad to hear all is well.

As the original poster has not replied to this thread since December, this thread is now closed/locked.

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 39 of 45

Post edited-Reason: That forum is not a competent security forum and as such please refrain from posting links to that site.

Message was edited by: paullotion on 05/12/09 16:54:50 CST
Highlighted

I rebooted my computer after manually deleting all the suspicious files in my c:\windows directory.  No problem with Windows (never thought there would be), but my computer is still experiencing the problem with web browser redirections.

Thanks so much for all the help people have provided, but I've tried everything, and it still sends me to random sites.  Furthermore, I have encountered my first "random" site that looks suspicious, because it asked me to download a file.  This site was a tab that opened automatically with no action from me.  When it opened, it had a prompt that asked to download a file to check for spyware.  Being suspicious of this, I clicked cancel and quickly closed the web browser.

Obviously, my computer is still infected, but McAfee scan continues to find no abnormalities.

Please help.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community