cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soulejef
Level 7

Google Redirect Virus, plus McAfee has major image, customer service, and product improvements to make

After spending three hours trying to remove the google redirect virus on my own, I have given up.  It has defeated me.  I have been a mcafee user since it came with my PC about two years ago.

I had my first virus last week.  It was a good one.  It was a microsoft security warning telling me that my files were being uploaded by an illegal host.  I called Mcafee customer service.  They charged me $90 to remove the virus on top of annual subscription fee.  Not a bad business model, charge the customer, when the product/service fails, charge the customer again.

Ever since they remote accessed my PC, charged my credit card, I now have this google redirect virus.  I tried to remove myself, but failed.  I sent Mcafee an email outlining the problem.  Hopefully they will be responsive and help me fix this problem.

After reading multiple blogs, I feel that Macafee has some image, customer service and product improvements to make.  It seems like this google redirect virus has been around for some time.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Google Redirect Virus, plus McAfee has major image, customer service, and product improvements to make

Unfortunately, no AV software in the world will protect your machine 100% of the time. Please can you run our Stinger tool and let us know the results please.  Make sure you read the 'How-to' first.

If that fails to clean it try one of the 3rd party tools listed lower down this page, Malwarebytes (Free version) is probably best in this case: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2168

Make sure it is updated before running and note, it's one of the few pieces of software that can be installed, updated and run all in 'Safe Mode with Networking', if necessary.

If you ask any security software company to remove an infection for you they all levy a charge for that service, however, if it didn't work or made matters worse,  you can ask for a refund by calling Customer Service, linked under McAfee Support >> Home and Home Office >> Customer Service, at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/09/11 7:59:26 EDT AM
0 Kudos
vinod_r2
Level 11

Re: Google Redirect Virus, plus McAfee has major image, customer service, and product improvements to make

Could you PM me your Case Details- I can arrange someone to get back to you on that issue you have.

0 Kudos