cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaygarrick
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 22

Getting a False Positive on Movie Writer Pro!

Jump to solution

When I go into the Movie Writer Pro ( The Writer Zone​ ) and start using it, McAfee then suddenly quarantines the program on me!

See the screen shot below for the error that comes up:

Screenshot (1).png

I contacted The Writer Zone about it, and all they can say is that McAfee is ignoring them about it.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Getting a False Positive on Movie Writer Pro!

Jump to solution

OK, Thanks! I haved re-installed the software it so far it appears to be OK now!

If anything crops up, I will let you know!

View solution in original post

21 Replies

Jump to solution

Well easy to check if they think it is actually a false detection

Submit the file via

The zip has to be less than 10MB if not and do this anyway scan it at www.virustotal.com and post the link to the scan here. Also post the analysis id number you get when You get the reply back immediately to the submission. If not fixed in 3 days ask and I or another mod will escalate the issue to the malware team.

If the file is actually still said by the team to be malware the writer zone better talk to the team.

jaygarrick
Level 8
Message 3 of 22

Jump to solution

I did try to use McAfee GetSusp 3.0.0.461 and sent the xml report file to Mcafee.

Jump to solution

Did it mention that file as suspicious?

When you used getsusp did you add your email address to its preferences if so and you had suspicious files you should have gotten an email reply with a workunit id number or some such thing.

Jump to solution

Steam stores its files inside a hidden directory ~/.local/share/Steam/ unless you have picked a different location for it. ~ is a shortcut to mean the user’s home dir, which should be /home/username/

As such you’ll need to open the file browser, show hidden files, locate .local, and follow that up into Steam and the registry blob will be inside

I thought the file name was moviewriterpro.exe

jaygarrick
Level 8
Message 6 of 22

Jump to solution

Ok, yea now i see the file, Thanks! Yes GetSusp mentions that "clientregistry.blob", is suspicious.

When I run moviewriterpro.exe, once I start inputing information, McAfee quarantines the, clientregistry.blob file.

Not sure if my email was already in preferences or not, since i did not hear back I guess it was not so i will run it again.

jaygarrick
Level 8
Message 7 of 22

Jump to solution

Ok, I resent the GetSusp file with my email for sure this time and zipped it up with the "infected" password before i sent it.

It is actually showing 10 files as suspicious now, all from both the Steam and OverWolf folders.

Jump to solution

No need to send the file it is sent automatically to McAfee labs after each run.

I was confused as the screen capture you posted shows moviewrirerpro.exe as the detected file

Jump to solution

I need the workitem id number or whatever to escalate the detection.

Jump to solution

I have not received a response back yet. I take it the work item id numbers would be in that?

I sent a new report, hope this time it's all right.

The zip file sent this time was this: gsusp_9AB457EBDCD7_121417_002818.zip

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community