cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: Generic PUP.x

Generally PUPs are unwanted so I would suggest removing it.

Exceptions to this are known recognized false positives (detection errors) or if you actually want a PUP McAfee detects (ex browser toolbar from MyWebSearch).
Highlighted

Hi can you give me some advice, this morning i got an alert to say

"A program on your computer has changed and wants to continue connecting to the Internet. Before it can, you must decide whether to allow it access again. To protect your computer, you should only allow programs that you trust.

About this Program
Program: Microsoft SeaPort Search Enhancement Broker
Location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
Recommendation: Unknown program"

I was not sure whether to allow access or block there seems some conflicting advise about this programme I believe it has something to do with MSN.

Last night I un-installed windows life mail because i was having problems with it

The program you mentioned is a part of the Windows Live Services, most likely dealing with Office Live and/or integration with the Windows Desktop Search technology. I suggest you allow this program (only because I recognize it as from Microsoft). You could block it but some functionality may be broken or disabled (for example Live mail could stop working when trying to do a search, as a purely hypothetical example).
anandd
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 14 of 14

Re: RE: Generic PUP.x

hi,

As mentioned earlier by secured2k,

Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) are not considered a virus or trojan because they do not self-replicate and they do not damage systems maliciously. Potentially Unwanted Programs can be commercial products. These are not a virus or trojan, but any piece of software which a reasonably security-or privacy-minded computer user may want to be informed of. 

We call a file as Potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) because we feel that the file might be used for malicious purposes, although that is not necessary always. It could also be part of a legitimate application/program. Thus we want a reasonably security or privacy minded computer user to know that such a file exists on his system.

If you do not use that file which is getting detected  as PUP, you could go ahead and delete the file manually.

hope this helps,

In case you need any further assistance , please start a new thread

Anand