Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 13

Generic PUP.v & SafeBoot removal

Just saw the following entry in the Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs section.  Should I be concerned?

Generic PUP.v

C:\Users\Administration\AppData\Local\Temp\is357113909\64979978_stp\setup.exe

Registry Key

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\AlternateShell,

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\AlternateShell, Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page, Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page

I checked the registry and the value is just set to SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\AlternateShell

12 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Generic PUP.v & SafeBoot removal

If McAfee detected it and Quarantined it. I would open McAfee UI and go to Navigation, then quarantined and trusted items,Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs, select and delete/restart.

Herdprotect shows detections as well   Malware scan of rpdn9ric.x64.dll 8e518927746cd24c92dfacd4ea709e7154f43d56 - herdProtect

Then I would Run McAfee Getsusp, followed by Malwarebytes (Free) Version only .

The tools can be found here

Please post back your results...

All the very Best,

Regards,

Cliff

McAfee Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I might add that this may be more appropriate being moved to Malware Discussion or Security Awareness to get more attention.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted

Before I move this @astor could you clarify which McAfee product you are using please?   Your header mentions SafeBoot and that's an Enterprise product, but maybe you mean something else by that.

Peter

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Thanks Ex_Brit you could indeed be correct. Sorry ,my oversight.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted

Not really an oversight as it's a common expression.  I see that PUP was in temp files, just clear out the temps and it should be gone, I wouldn't worry too much about a PUP anyway - Possibly Unwanted Program - the choice really is yours whether to keep it or not.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 13

True....Personally I would rather Opt to remove it to prevent build-up of PUPS in my Quarantined folders. Having said that..I never seem to get any.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted
Level 8
Message 8 of 13

To answer your question I'm using McAfee Security Center 12.8.

Not sure it's just coincidence but on the same day I noticed when I double click on a .bat file, instead of executing it, Notepad opens it in edit mode.  I fixed it by deleting the appropriate registry key after doing some research on the internet.

Highlighted

astor wrote:

To answer your question I'm using McAfee Security Center 12.8.

Not sure it's just coincidence but on the same day I noticed when I double click on a .bat file, instead of executing it, Notepad opens it in edit mode.  I fixed it by deleting the appropriate registry key after doing some research on the internet.

Thanks.  Have moved it to Malware Discussions > Home User Assistance as a more appropriate spot.    You can restore file associations easily enough, see: 

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 10 of 13

Thanks for the link to fix file associations - I'll save the link as it might be useful if I have the same or similar problem in the future.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community