cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic!Artemis problem

My mouse kept opening programs and windows, when i used it this morning. I've had the same symptom before i had my pc reformat because of a virus. so i checked mcafee and found on the log that a Generic!Artemis could not be repaired. Apparently my younger brother allowed for the virus access so it was accepted by the pc, so i "untrusted" it on the settings. Unfortunately now i don't know how to remove it. when i run a scan on mcafee it doesn't even say there is something found. i tried downloading tons of softwares but most of them wanted me to purchase something.

i am so sad because i am not computer savvy and does to know how to go on safe mode, and do a buch of studd to get rid of this. i read some solutions here to go to this malware bites link but whenever i would click download now it's giving me an error. maybe i can try it again. but please anyone help me. i don't wanna have to pay for mcafee or have my pc reformatted again. ANYONE PLEASE HELP!
2 Replies

RE: Generic!Artemis problem

Hi,

I guess the infection what you have in your computer must be severe that’s the reason; McAfee was unable to clean or delete it from the computer.

Moreover, rebooting the computer in Safe Mode is very simple; all you have to do is turn off the computer completely. Restart it back, and the moment you restart the computer keep on tapping the F8 key on the keyboard until you get a Windows Advanced Option on the screen.

Once you are able to see that (by using your up/down arrow key on the keyboard) select Safe Mode with Networking and hit Enter twice and that would help you to boot up the computer in Safe Mode

You can also try to restore your computer to an earlier date to check and whether we are able to fix it. In order to try that, after you login to the computer in Safe Mode – You will get a window which says Windows is running in Safe Mode… So please click on NO that will bring up the System Restore Window.

Select a date on which the computer was working fine, complete the restore process and reboot the computer; if you are able to complete the restore process successfully everything should work fine happy

malwarebytes

i tried running malware bytes and found a trojan and a hijack (?). it was removed and quarantined. my pc so far is working fine after the reboot. i hope it fixed everything. just now though the mouse pointer just went haywire for half a second there. anyway this was the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1765
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

2/16/2009 11:07:31 PM
mbam-log-2009-02-16 (23-07-31).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 167987
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 15 minute(s), 35 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSMHelp (Hijack.Help) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
D:\Program Files\ppcbooster\ppcbu_32.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community