cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markiebeau
Level 9

Game launch file quarantined as a virus Artemis!8A2BB0CB204D.

Jump to solution

I need to know how I can get my real-time scanner to accept a file. I had to turn it off to install the game because it immediately pulled the file and quarantined it, then the game would no longer install. It installed fine with RTS off. Turned it back on, and as soon as I try to launch the game, it pulls the file as a virus and quarantines it. Says it's some Artemis! with a bunch of numbers. I go into my quarantine log to "Trust" it and all there is is "Delete", "Restore" and "Send to McAfee". I tried several times ot retore it. Even if I looked at the game file without trying to launch it,the virus scan would pull the file.

Why does McAfee have a "Trusted Items" log, but no way to trust it? I have the latest Security Suite with all the updates,

Do I need to do a full scan and wait for it to pull it there? Seems to me it still automatically quarantines everything with no way to "trust" it.

Message was edited by: markiebeau on 7/24/11 10:02:47 AM CDT

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/07/11 7:23:58 EDT PM
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Game launch file quarantined as a virus.

Jump to solution

Moved to Artemis discussion.  It would help troubleshoot greatly if you included the Artemis!xxxxxx details in full please.

In the meanwhile I've outlined steps you can take here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

At the moment you can only trust items that are detected as PUP's (Possibly Unwanted Programs) and we are campaigning to have that situation improved.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Moved to Artemis discussion.  It would help troubleshoot greatly if you included the Artemis!xxxxxx details in full please.

In the meanwhile I've outlined steps you can take here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

At the moment you can only trust items that are detected as PUP's (Possibly Unwanted Programs) and we are campaigning to have that situation improved.

0 Kudos
markiebeau
Level 9

Jump to solution

It's Artemis!8A2BB0CB204D. I already uninstalled the game and got rid of it.

Thanx for such a speedy reply.

It's just frustrating...you would think with today's technology that antivirus companys can write programs to tell the difference between an executable file and a virus, or that game makers can write executables so they aren't read as viruses. Didn't want to deal with it, so I just won't play the game.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Game launch file quarantined as a virus Artemis!8A2BB0CB204D.

Jump to solution

One would think so but it happens quite frequently unfortunately.  Normally they would spot the header in here (I updated it for you) and check it out pretty quickly and you could also have emailed them at Virus_Research@avertlabs.com with the header False Artemis!8A2BB0CB204D

Anyway, good luck.

By the way, Artemis means that it had to check with the database and when it wasn't found it submitted it as a suspicious file.  Many of those are subsequently cleared.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/07/11 7:29:29 EDT PM
0 Kudos