Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
diannab
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 15

From Microsoft Official Support

Brand new laptop.  Logged in a few times.  Page came up as Microsoft Official Support and in the address line it was, technicalsafeweb.club/edge.php?a=ooo4&source=12941887
(the ooo;s are really 000)

It locked up the page.  Gave a phone number to call.  Said the computer was blocked and that all of the passwords were being stolen.

We logged out.  Waited a few minutes and logged on again, only to find the same screen.

After a few days, we logged on again and this time a male voice was saying what the page said about it being a virus and the computer was locked and that we must call this phone number
in order to have it removed.  I called the number and a deep accented guy from India answered and said he needed to get in my computer.  I told him he was a scam and hung up.  I had given
him no information at all.

Shut down the computer, logged back on, and the male voice again saying what the page said but at the end it said 'you've been f'd'.

I quickly hit the windows key and it took me to a partial msn page where I typed in Malwarebytes.com.  It took me to that site and I downloaded

their app.  Then I ran the app and it said the system was safe and secure and found no errors or viruses.  We tried to go from there to the home

page and it said we had no internet connection.  I worked with it for two hours trying to set the internet.  It kept saying that it was in airplane mode.

Had a difficult time removing that but finally did.  Hubs was able to use his laptop for a couple of hours.

A few days go by and hubs goes to log in again with the same thing again.  We went to system restore and went back to two weeks ago.  We rebooted

and he was able to log on and use laptop for a few hours.

Today he logs in and we are back to the same thing again.  We cannot get rid of it.  What good is McAfee if they don't catch viruses?  How do we get rid
of this?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

14 Replies
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: From Microsoft Official Support

Well try Mcafee's pledge

Our promise to you.

We pledge to remove viruses on your devices or give you your money back, 100% guaranteed.*

Your subscription includes our Virus Protection Pledge guarantee when you choose to renew automatically. Plus you get unlimited access to superior customer support.

Additional terms apply*

Call support and say you wish them to free removal if they can or refund you. There are conditions see link.

All AVs are not 100% coverage new malware are coming out daily and the AVs need to see samples to catch some of them. If they not successful Try several of the free scanners

diannab
Level 7
Message 3 of 15

So I don't understand your response.  It is a brand new laptop.  It had McAfee on it when we bought it.  (Not our choice).  We bought it the end of November.  Actually we bought two identical laptops at the same time.  His laptop is not used as often as mine is.  He has logged on maybe eight times for a few hours since he bought it.  Those log on times include all the BS we are going thru with this 'malicious virus'.  You are telling me to try several of the free scanners.  Ok so why do I have McAfee then if I have to try several others?  You also say to call support.  Where on this site does it have a phone number to contact support?  I don't click on links from people that I don't know and especially from messages that have so many typos.  I apologize if your response doesn't look to me to be real but when I read emails or posts, I always consider the spelling and such, and the email address that its coming from.   In my original post, I included the address that is in the address line when we log on to his laptop and that page comes up.  The virus message always says Microsoft and mentions Edge.  This virus has to be removed and I am not impressed with McAfee at this point.  It should have caught the virus to begin with.

Now, can you give me a number or direct me to the number to call (without a link)?

Thank you in advance.

Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 15

​,

You can contact Technical Support through  McAfee Consumer Support Portal

Select your country and you can call as well. The Toll free number for the U.S. is 1-866-622-3911.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 15

But as your copies may be trials they may not have the free removal option I assume. Even we mods use the free scanners as backup as I said the AVs do not cover all newly released malware  Tere is sometimes a lag.

Sorry should have given You a link to support usually they require you to fill out your details then shows you the number to call.

diannab
Level 7
Message 6 of 15

Thank you for your help so far.  I truly appreciate it.

Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Have you attempted to run this "On Demand Scanner" ? Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Malware Removal Follow the instructions, and do not accept the free trial. The (Free) software will suffice. You can periodically use it as it is compatible with McAfee.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
diannab
Level 7
Message 8 of 15

As I said, I downloaded it and have run it multiple times.  Every time it keeps coming back as no threats and SECURE. 

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 15

have you tried what is suggested in the post by Hayton? Also as you have a paid Mcafee call them and request they remove it under their pledge to remove malware or refund

Mcafee's pledge

I also linked to it on their main page in my 1st post above.

catdaddy posted the link to support

I have done everything that has been suggested.  To date, when booting up, we are able to use Foxfire but the malicious virus page continually shows in the background.  There have been numerous new pop ups saying that we need to contact Microsoft immediately.  Yes I know that its a virus/malware/whatever, and I also know that I want it off of my computer. 

As I have posted before, when we bought the laptops, they had McAfee on them.  We were told that we had a one year subscription, so I assume that McAfee would not refund anything if they can't remove whatever this is. 

I don't feel comfortable downloading a half dozen different apps to TRY to get rid of this.  I am frustrated and don't understand it.  I don't feel like having McAfee helps at all.  I don't know what to do.

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.