Yesterday my PC was infected with Security Master AV. Pops up kept popping up and telling me I had a virus and needed to buy Security Master AV to fix it....hoax!! I naturally ran a scan with my McAfee software, but the software didn't find any threats. Figured since I paid for McAfee I would call them to help me fix it. Well, found out it would cost me 89 bucks for them to fix it for me...Don't know about you, but I can't afford to pay for virus protection and then pay AGAIN to have a virus removed. I searched online and found a whole page full of sites that would remove the Security Master AV virus. All of them gave manual instructions and would scan for free, but to get a program to remove it, no go...but I finally found a site that provided a download of a program to run that would remove the virus....I was getting popups every 5 to 10 minutes, but after running the program about an hour ago, it has not appeared at all...so I'm thinking this has successfully removed the virus...just wanted to pass along the site that provided the program in case any of you get the Security Master AV virus....hope this helps someone like it did for me.... http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Security-Master-AV-Removal-Tool-Download-160986.html
Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.
Thanks for posting this. The best removal guide is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-master-av - scroll down the page past the ads. That website has great removal tools for many similar ones too.
Like all fake anti-malware applications, they are rarely detected by anti-virus applications. Specialist anti-malware or anti-spyware tools often will detect and remove them however, as you found out.
All antivirus makers charge for live virus removal by the way, so that's nothing new.
I tried this software and it did not work.
However, I found a better solution ...
On my account, I had an adminstrator account (Windows 7) and created a limited account for my kids. My kids account was infected, but the administrator account was not, probably because it was password protected. So I simply deleted the limited account for my kids and re-created it.
This time, I put a password even on the kids account and also am switching from Internet Explorer to Firefox.
I don't like paying for software everytime some virus shows up. The time before this I had a virus that I could not remove, so my solution was to blow away the entire hard drive and install linux, which I have had no virus issues with.
BleepingComputer's cure is all free and if it didn't work then you should have posted on their forum about that. Perhaps whatever it was you had was slightly different from that mentioned in this thread. However, glad you fixed it.
If that's possible then don't forget to update McAfee immediately (right-click and check for updates) and disable System Restore to get rid of the infected restore files.
Re-enable once sure everything is OK.
Thanks for that advice. I did update my McAfee files. Everything is working normally. I restored back a week and that seemed to solve the problem. Have a friend who's a "geek" and he suggested this solution. Thanks!