cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonathus
Level 7

Firewall turning off, have i got rid of Live security platinum?

The live security platinum virus got onto my computer yesterday, i ran through the steps on this page http://malwaretips.com/blogs/live-security-platinum-removal-guide/ and it seemed to have done what it was meant to do, ive also run stinger which didnt detect anything, ive run hitman pro again which doesnt detect anything.

However when i go to turn on my mcafee firewall it turns on for about 5 seconds then turns itself back off again. I am not 100 percent sure that my firewall didnt do this before i got the virus but im fairly confident that it didnt as i wasnt getting updates from mcafee that my computer wasnt protected.

Does this sound like the virus is still on my computer and undetected by the programs ive used? also is there other more common problems that could be turning my firewall off (not related to the the live security virus)?

Thankyou

0 Kudos
12 Replies
jonathus
Level 7

Re: Firewall turning off, have i got rid of Live security platinum?

Some of my details:

Mcafee security center version 11.0

virus scan version 15.0                DAT version 6820

personal firewall version 12.0

Mcafee was not detecting any threat after i did a full scan, the programs i used following these steps http://malwaretips.com/blogs/live-security-platinum-removal-guide/ all detected stuff.

I cannot do a system restore as i have no backup points

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Whilst I can't endorse the methods used in that link they appear to be pretty thorough.   The first thing to try is to repair your McAfee software using the MVT:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

I don't know much about Hitman Pro but from what I've heard you could do better in the way of 3rd party tools.

I mention some in the last link in my signature below.

What I would suggest you do is follow the advice lower down that link and post either a Hijackthis log or a DDS log on one of the forums recommended there.  (Not here - we can't analyse them)

They are better equipped to tell you if you are OK

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/09/12 7:31:59 EDT AM
0 Kudos
jonathus
Level 7

OK thanks for the advice ill give it a go

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

OK, hope all is OK.  ;-)

0 Kudos
jonathus
Level 7

So my firewall is back on now, not sure how. I went through mcafee technical support who told me i needed to do a windows update. When i tried to update it came up with an error, and i went through these steps http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/cannot-run-windows-update-on-a-windows-7-pc/. The service is now finding updates although it failed to download the ones it had found. However i checked my mcafee and now my firewall is working. Not sure whats made that happen but seems to be something in the steps I went through to get my update service working.

Thanks again for the advice

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

That's good.  It's important to keep all aspects of Windows and any associated software totally up to date.

0 Kudos
jonathus
Level 7

So the firewall was working, since then ive turned my computer on and off and now have the firewall down same problem again, have tried to go through the process that seemed to do the trick last time: http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/cannot-run-windows-update-on-a-windows-7-pc/  but no luck.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Go to Start/Run and type in service.msc click OK or hit the Enter key and OK any prompts.

Or go to Start and look for Administrative Tools in the menu, - services will be shown in there.

Go down the list to Windows Firewall and make sure it's Started and Automatic

If it isn't double-click and make it so in the ensuing interface.

Meanwhile you might want to do what I suggested at the end of post #2 above.

0 Kudos
partridge107
Level 7

Hi Peter,

I woke up this morning with a similar problem. Did the following and it seems to have worked.

0. Ran full McAfee virus maleware porgram - no detection, so...

1. Downloaded and ran the Stinger program from the McAfee site. Cleared out 3 or 4 virus / trojans

2. Downloaded and ran the Free Anti-maleware program from Malewarebytes - cleared out two or three others

3, Ran the McAfee virtual technician to try to repair the Firwall - it failed to do so.

4. Went to Services,discovered that Windows Firewall was notlonger listed - presumably the malware deleted it ?

5. Did system restore to one week ago.

6. Windows firewall reappears, of course  - everything seems OK

Its been stable for two hours now, no sign of reinfection.

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions on this and many other listings,

David

0 Kudos